Hay fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam98

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

As the weather has been getting better, my hay fever has started playing up. My sugar control has also been a bit more difficult.

Can hay fever have the same effect on glucose as a cold?

I can't seem to find anything on this. If it does, why?

Thank-you

Hi @sam98
Our BG is affected by many things. As you mentioned, a cold will see BG rise but this is true of anything that will cause stress which may be standing on the edge of a narrow path on a steep hill, doing your driving test, going into a tough meeting, a sprained ankle, a stiff shoulder, a bad night's sleep, worrying about why your BG is higher than usual ... or streaming eyes and nose thanks to all those lovely plants sending their pollen forth to procreate.

But if you are unsure of the cause of unusual BG, it may be worth changing your insulin pen/cartridge. Yes, faulty equipment can be another explanation for our diabetes not playing fair.

The heat is more likely to be the cause of the rise than hay fever but bodies are funny and diabetes doesn’t always follow the rules so who knows. FWIW if over the counter antihistamines don’t cut it there are stronger ones available via your GP (you can buy them OTC for a ridiculous amount).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back