Hay Fever

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hay fever is not terrible but when I have needed it, I have taken over the counter anti-histamines without any drowsiness or impact on my blood sugars.

There seems to be issues with taking most of these so I wondered what other people take to help them through the blinking pollen season.
Most likely if you asked your GP they'd suggest over the counter antihistamines, and the modern ones are fine for almost everyone (don't cause drowsiness).

I meant to add that, despite the very similar name, the website diabetes.co.uk has nothing to do with Diabetes UK.
The former is operated by DDM Health Ltd and is not a charity.

Hi
I have just been wading through this article https://www.diabetes.co.uk/conditions/hayfever-and-seasonal-allergies.html to work out what I can take for Hay Fever. There seems to be issues with taking most of these so I wondered what other people take to help them through the blinking pollen season. My meds are currently Metformin and Gliclazide.

Thanks
Terry

That’s a commercial site not the charity Diabetes U.K. as @helli said. The proper Diabetes U.K. pages are here:

I’m on insulin not Metformin or Gliclazide, but I take Piriton (the original one) or cetirizine (you can buy own brand ceterizine). I suggest you ask the pharmacist in your local chemist as they’ll know if there’s any issue with them and the meds you’re on. Cetirizine is ok for children too and I think it’s one of the more innocuous ones.

I take Loratadine 10mg a day. I took Piriton once and lost 18hrs of my life sleeping.

There are other types which are non-drowsy.
The big two are loratadine and cetirizine hydrochloride. As far as I'm aware they're both about as effective and both not very likely to cause drowsiness (though both can in some people) and both about the same price (Poundland sells cheap versions of both).

The big two are loratadine and cetirizine hydrochloride. As far as I'm aware they're both about as effective and both not very likely to cause drowsiness (though both can in some people) and both about the same price (Poundland sells cheap versions of both).

I just realised my post was a bit ambiguous. I meant other types of Piriton in addition to the original one that can cause drowsiness. I think one might be called Piriteze.

Yes, I buy my cetirizine along with my supermarket shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back