Having people in your corner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoUser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I was recently at the hairdressers and happened to mention living with type 2 and working towards remission. They'd never heard of putting type 2 into remission so as I was explaining how weight loss helps etc etc, and another patron (who was eavesdropping) said "wow, that's a lot of weight you'd need to lose, impossible!"

I mean I was gobsmacked and felt shamed to say the least. I hate confrontation and really just wanted to up and leave, but my hairdresser turned around and stuck up for me, practically telling her to mind her own business. Has anyone else faced anything so unkind and brazen!? :(

In the studies, 15kg+ weight loss gives the best chance for remission, if you're starting from an overweight/obese position (10kg if not). That's not such a big deal - maintaining the loss is the harder part.

Anyway, I guess you could respond to clueless comments like the one you report by just saying that it really isn't such a big weight loss & people do it all the time.

In the studies, 15kg+ weight loss gives the best chance for remission, if you're starting from an overweight/obese position (10kg if not). That's not such a big deal - maintaining the loss is the harder part.

Anyway, I guess you could respond to clueless comments like the one you report by just saying that it really isn't such a big weight loss & people do it all the time.
You're right, people do do it all the time, but then again, people who have never experienced weight problems don't understand the difficulties.

I was recently at the hairdressers and happened to mention living with type 2 and working towards remission. They'd never heard of putting type 2 into remission so as I was explaining how weight loss helps etc etc, and another patron (who was eavesdropping) said "wow, that's a lot of weight you'd need to lose, impossible!"

I mean I was gobsmacked and felt shamed to say the least. I hate confrontation and really just wanted to up and leave, but my hairdresser turned around and stuck up for me, practically telling her to mind her own business. Has anyone else faced anything so unkind and brazen!? :(
Hello, I’m glad you managed to finish your sitting at the hairdressers. I see this as your victory.
There is always a social or keyboard “warrior” online. Well wishes with your work towards remission. It’s shocking what people feel they can “get away with” in response to a well meaning address to someone else, they’ve no business being involved with? (Sadly, the perpetrators? socially inept?) But your stylist seems a hero.

For the sake of the “mixed company” kept under some of these circumstances. (Either real life or online.) It can be more appropriate to “scroll on” and allow others to weigh up the situation for themselves.

You have my sympathy. Your stylist sounds like a star.

Ah @NeoUser - what an unpleasant experience for you :(

So pleased the stylist stepped in. Often when on the receiving end of an unkind or thoughtless comment I’ve found myself just stunned into silence (and disbelief!). So well done to your stylist for stepping in.

Glad you were able to complete your appointment. Well done for sharing the positive opportunity for trying to turn your diabetes around. Great that your hair stylist now knows it is possible - who knows, perhaps they might have a family member or friend, and be able to pass on the information in turn!

I seriously don’t understand what he said wrong, except for the impossible part, which would piss me of.

But that’s what type 1’s hear on diabetes forums all the time too and nobody is stepping in for them either, on the contrary.

Sorry you went through this, have had similar comments even from professionals I see, even though they know my trigger was an eating disorder.
DUk are doing massive amounts of work around stigma for all types and there’s huge amounts of research going on to help all of us. We definitely need more folks like your stylists to put the critical people in their place.

But that’s what type 1’s hear on diabetes forums all the time too and nobody is stepping in for them either, on the contrary.
Think I'd have just glared and asked whether they thought I wanted their opinion, because I didn't - but anyway, good ole hairdresser.

I've no idea what @Bubbleblower means - as a T1 I've known for a fact since August 1972 that there's no cure for T1 - neither is there for T2 - ONLY, more recently, that it may be possible to achieve remission from T2. However - not without those T2s changing something else they've been doing previously. ie No gain without pain as is also widely said.

Well done to your hairdresser for telling this person to mind their own business and equally well done to you for sharing your T2 story with others. Unless diabetes has touched people’s lives, the majority of the population know very little about it. Educating others is a very good thing.

View this person as a pot hole along your diabetes journey. Very annoying but happily now in the past, behind you and not left any lasting damage 🙂

The injustice upsets me. Hope you personally haven't had anything like this happen to you.

Sorry you went through this, have had similar comments even from professionals I see, even though they know my trigger was an eating disorder.
DUk are doing massive amounts of work around stigma for all types and there’s huge amounts of research going on to help all of us. We definitely need more folks like your stylists to put the critical people in their place.
Anyone else feel this sort of thing is more shocking to experience from professionals? Language and delivery (tone used) are so important.

Well done to your hairdresser for telling this person to mind their own business and equally well done to you for sharing your T2 story with others. Unless diabetes has touched people’s lives, the majority of the population know very little about it. Educating others is a very good thing.

View this person as a pot hole along your diabetes journey. Very annoying but happily now in the past, behind you and not left any lasting damage 🙂
Thanks for this. I particularly like viewing this person as a pot hole. That's made me LOL. Yes, in the past and feel stronger (and maybe a little more prepared) should something like this happen again, but hopefully not.

Anyone else feel this sort of thing is more shocking to experience from professionals? Language and delivery (tone used) are so important.
Agreed, I am hoping my experience is a rare one but did hear a weight management professional advocate speak about how important language is when professionals address us as they can’t know our full history when meeting us, there’s so many factors as to why we are struggling at any one time, thank you for replying as well about how shocking this sort of issue is.

Some people are so ignorant, I’ve had many ignorant comments, they make me sad and angry. I’m sorry you went through this, kudos to your hairdresser for saying something.

Professionals are the worst, yes I have had nasty comments. And they hurt, they were mainly all from professionals.

Some people are so ignorant, I’ve had many ignorant comments, they make me sad and angry. I’m sorry you went through this, kudos to your hairdresser for saying something.
They're horrible aren't they. Most times, if not always, they're uncalled for. I hope this doesn't continue to happen to us, especially by professionals!

Some people have no sense of decency do they. My daughter is in a wheelchair at the moment (nothing to do with diabetes). One time she was out with a group of friends, a woman was staring at her and then asked her friend “what’s wrong with her then?”. The friends deemed it not worthy of a reply and got up and left, taking my daughter with them. As they were walking away, the woman yelled “you should give her a blanket, she’ll be cold!”. Just because her legs don’t work, it doesn’t mean her brain and mouth don’t! I think she was too shocked to reply. We’ve had all the usual diabetes related ones as well, especially when she was at primary school. Some teachers were great, read the care plan, spoke to me, and dealt with everything correctly. Others just assumed they knew better. For example, at Christmas parties with the aid of the DSN we worked out a way of handling things so that daughter could eat whatever she liked during the party, the same as everyone else. She was on a pump so we just input a large number of carbs and told it to spread the dose out over 3 hours and it worked amazingly well for the inevitable carb-fest that kids’ parties usually are. But some teachers stepped in and stopped her from eating, which sent her low. I had to be phoned and tried to explain that she’s taken the insulin for it and can eat it. “But it was a massive pile of biscuits”. Yes, I know, we’ve dealt with it. A massive pile of biscuits isn’t good for any child, but you don’t stop the others from eating them! Etc etc. She’s 17 now so just gets on with it on her own, diabetes-wise, I don’t know if she’s had any comments like that recently.

On the flip side though, my daughter is also autistic, and gets very confused about the fact that when you are a child you are constantly told that you must be honest and tell the truth; when you get to teenage years, suddenly that isn’t always appropriate, e.g. when people ask you if they look nice in a new outfit and then get upset if you tell them honestly that you don’t think they do. I have spent much time trying to explain to her that people who are overweight are usually well aware of the fact and don’t need to have it pointed out to them. And that by pointing it out, you are basically making a criticism that you think they have done something wrong by allowing themselves to become overweight. Whereas you have no idea of the reasons why, and for all you know they might be trying to do something about it, or they might be perfectly happy as they are, and unless they choose to talk to you about it then it’s none of your business. I think she’s slowly getting it! (Yes I need to lose some weight too)

Don't mind her. 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back