Having one of those days

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I feel rotten today.

Not sure why as I was 9.2 (down arrow) at 10pm last night, 10.0 11pm but woke up at 15.3 seems to have gone up to that about 1am and stayed at that.

So with breakfast I had an additional 2 units (10 unitto bring it down slowly, it’s literally done nothing and I’ve taken another 2 about half an hour ago and only now it seems to be moving.

Got a headache, feel sick and my skin is so itchy.
Anyway I’ve asked work if I can rest today and work Friday, which isn’t ideal but I can’t think in a straight line.

I hate when I get the itches with it! Don’t know how to stop it :(
No ketones - 0.0 which I suppose is something

38CF5A79-D2F6-44FB-9076-AEBEE0BC1032.png52E815AC-7688-43CB-9227-71C62AC8F42E.png0D8005BD-4A57-4FC3-AEA4-1A8D880B10BD.png

KARNAK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not good figures @PhoebeC maybe time to call your DSN? xx

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Did both those, no ketones, plenty of water. Back to normal now, I’m not sure why it was so stubborn.
It’s taken it out of me to be honest.
I don’t really have a DSN, as ever pretty much on my own, apart from you guys :)

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I wonder if your basal insulin wasn't effective for some reason.... I have just started a new box of needles and several of them have been clogged and not worked when I have done the air shot or only worked after I dialled up a few units 2 or 3 times and then the pressure has eventually forced it through and sent it flying through the air in a fountain. Just wonder if you might be suffering from poorly manufactured needles too which has meant you haven't administered your full basal dose.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@rebrascora may I ask what needles you are using? my current box of BD Viva 4mm have a few issues, some seem a tad blocked, others are blunter and bruising, only a few left but pretty sure the ones in the cupboard will be from the same batch :rolleyes: xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Kaylz Yep, mine are BD Viva 4mm too. I just opened a new box about a week ago and had maybe 4 so far that haven't worked smoothly, so I am now on the alert and being extra vigilant with my air shots.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@rebrascora I'm always extra vigilant with my air shots anyway lol. last box will be opened in a couple of days so hopefully the ones I get on my next repeat will be without issues xx

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hmmm mine are the same ones, I’ve had two bruise up today which doesn’t normally happen.
I think @rebrascora yiy are onto something there, my basal has just bruised and I am actually worried about going to sleep and it happening again, normally I wake for a wee at some point but if I am high like that I’m like a log :confused:
I’m at 7 currently. With the horizontal line so fingers crossed.
And that was my last needle out of the box

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm a bit naughty and don't change my needle every time (Wednesdays and Sundays are my needle change days) so it takes me a year to get through a box of needles.... I have a feeling I will be going though this box a lot quicker! I am getting through more insulin using them too because I am having to do extra air shots to clear the needle blockage and ensure it is dispensing insulin. Never had a problem with the previous box of BD Viva needles. Should we be reporting them to someone... ie the manufacturer or the pharmacist or nurse?

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
All of them and also ring or email Becton Dickinson themselves and have a whinge. BD hypodermic needles and disposable syringes are absolutely the most commonly prescribed ones, but I hate them, they HURT and always have. I have always asked for and got different ones. originally they were ones made by Ypsomed, but for the last 10 ish years I've had Novo Nordisk 'Novofine' needles.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I use BD Viva and have noticed some huge bruises lately. I thought it was just me, never thought about the needles.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As I have said before, I once worked for Gillette who at the time were a major supplier of disposable needles. There is a simple principle. Don't buy needles on price if you want them to perform well. I know the end user does not buy them but you can bet your bottom dollar that the problems you are seeing are because somebody cut costs somewhere.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Glad things have settled @PhoebeC
It does sound like it could be the needles especially if you are suddenly getting bruises that you haven’t had before. I hope things stay level today and that you feel better.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Glad things have settled @PhoebeC
It does sound like it could be the needles especially if you are suddenly getting bruises that you haven’t had before. I hope things stay level today and that you feel better.
Feel much better thank you!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sorry to hear about all of you having issues with BD Viva needles.

Please do report these to the manufacturer and/or Yellow Card the. with the MHRA.

The manufacturer will want to keep tabs on any lot numbers that aren’t up to snuff.