Having kids

Rescue999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello all,

I am new to the page and I am after some advice help or support and not sure where I need to turn to. Below I will post context about myself and my life.

I am 30 in November I finally have a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed as having type 1 diabetes when I was 16 went off the rails and went like 10 years or so noncompliant with any medication. It caused massive fights and arguments within the family and I can't tell you why I did not get on with taking my medication.

Fast forward 10 years and my health has given up on me I am now fully compliant with my medication however the 10 years of not being on the meds have meant that I have changes at the backs of my eyes. I have diabetic retinopathy and have been having laser eye surgery since Christmas 2022 to stop the blood vessels from forming.

Now to the main point about this post. I have been married now for 2 years and my wife wants to have children each day that passes. I am worried that my years of being noncompliant with my medication have made me infertile and that winning the lottery seems more likely than us having a child any time soon.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Dose anyone know who I can turn to? Money is not the best at the moment so turning to IVF or any other private clinic for testing would be a no-go.

Anyway, it is nice to meet you all.

X

I don't know of any reason why you would have trouble conceiving. If you're worried though, speak to your GP and ask for a semen analysis test which will tell you one way or the other.

I don't know of any reason why you would have trouble conceiving. If you're worried though, speak to your GP and ask for a semen analysis test which will tell you one way or the other.
Thanks I will plan to get this booked in at some point soon.

Thanks I will plan to get this booked in at some point soon.

Why not try to conceive for a few months, then get a sperm count done if nothing happens? That would also give you time to focus on diet and other healthy things to improve sperm quality. That’s important too as well as the numbers.

Back