Having insulin taken away for 48 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjohn

Much Missed Member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Though some mostly type 2 would find this interesting..

Over the weekend I spent the time in bed with severe pain in lower back all around a level with my waist, then this was followed with the dreaded tummy bug, I spent from 7 pm one evening until 2pm the following day visiting the bathroom (wont go into detail) other than to say it was severe. My daughter spoke to the Pharmacist who recommended Loperamide, and told her to phone the diabetic nurse about my insulin.

My daughter phoned my diabetic nurse, who then having discussed things and took down my BG readings from the past 3 days said to my daughter..Knowing your father and what he is like with wanting tight control, he's not going to be happy with this, but stop his insulin for 48 hours even if it means taking his pens away.:D. She said forget his target of between 4 and 7, his new target for next 48 hours should be between 10 and 12, if he goes above 12 then and only then allow him 5 units of Novorapid.

Although only eating dry toast and soups mostly, these were my readings during that time with no insulin at all

Day 1.......7.1.......7.3......7.2........6.7

Day 2........7.4......9.3.......7.3........7.5

The 9.3 was lunch time today...I ate 3 slices of Domino Hawian piza and dropped to 7.3 teatime and then ate chicken chop suey and now 7.5...🙂

who would have thought it...

John..

Hahaha Shiv....if only :D........But having my Levemir and Novorapid taken away was rather scarey, but now makes me wonder why I have to take such high doses to get my HbA1c of 6.2 :confused:

the numbers sound good with no assistance. I hope you are feeling better. Lots of people have had tummy bugs which all seem to be lasting 2 or 3 days.

Did the nurse explain why she was suggesting this ? It would be interesting to know.

Hope you are a lot better now.

Very curious - I'm intrigued to know how come!

Glad to hear that it worked for you and you had such stable numbers. Were your blood sugars before you stopped the insulin on the low side?
Just to remind people that this worked for John but the advice is to not stop insulin when ill, so always speak to your Dr/DSN before doing so.
I love Sundays, only 1 dose of novorapid. Being able to eat without injecting feels great.

Just to make it clear. I am in no way suggesting that anyone should stop taking insulin. This was done under instructions and regular telephone supervision from my DSN and my daughter who is a Senior carer and trusted with my care, otherwise she knows I would have refused to stop my insulin. Also worth remembering the only food being eaten was dry toast (no spread) and soup again advised by DSN. But I did sneak some pizza and a chop suey at the end of the last day :D

Nikki
My numbers normally run between 4 and 8 throughout the day, with mornings being highest at 8

My insulin doses are
Levemir...70 units am and 70 units pm
Novorapid...50units ..30units....45units.

One of the reasons I posted my experience was, so that others can see how we are all effected in different ways and that there is no one fix that suits all.

John.

We are all affected differently by different things. It is always helpful to see how others have dealt with things and coped. It is a helpful guide.

Just to make it clear. I am in no way suggesting that anyone should stop taking insulin. This was done under instructions and regular telephone supervision from my DSN and my daughter who is a Senior carer and trusted with my care, otherwise she knows I would have refused to stop my insulin. Also worth remembering the only food being eaten was dry toast (no spread) and soup again advised by DSN. But I did sneak some pizza and a chop suey at the end of the last day :D

Nikki
My numbers normally run between 4 and 8 throughout the day, with mornings being highest at 8

My insulin doses are
Levemir...70 units am and 70 units pm
Novorapid...50units ..30units....45units.

One of the reasons I posted my experience was, so that others can see how we are all effected in different ways and that there is no one fix that suits all.

John.

Wasn't suggesting that you were John otherwise I would have said that directly. Just a reminder as lots of people don't get told about sick day rules, I've known quite a few type 1's get DKA because they have stopped insulin because they weren't well. Just being over cautious I guess.

Nikki

My posting was not meant to doubt your intensions but to back up your statement that people should not stop taking insulin 🙂
If I were to be told off or corrected by anyone I could accept it from you as you are a great contributer and can see other peoples views when you make your comments. Sorry if my posting came across as a rebuff, it was not intended that way..

John..

you have a very good nurse i wish it could be like that with children unfortunatly not here (east sussex PCT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back