Having a second cheap secondhand phone for the Dexcom One app

Status
Not open for further replies.

HalfpipMarathon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Although I have a receiver I would like to be able to see my data on my phone however as my phone is not compatible with the Dexcom One app my only options are get a new phone that is compatible or a cheap secondhand phone just for the app.

Does anyone use a separate phone for the app? If I chose the first option or even the second how up to date are the phones on the Dexcom One compatibility list.

Afraid I can't answer your question as I just use a reader with my Libre (and don't have experience of Dexcom) and find the reader provides me with everything I need. I do have the LibreView on my PC which I download my Libre reader data onto every couple of months but that is mostly to enable my consultant to access my results. I don't really find that data any more helpful than the info I get from my reader, which stores 90 days worth of results with graphs and TIR and patterns etc. For me, that day to day info is what helps me manage my diabetes well. It is nice to see the data on the Libreview app occasionally, but my diabetes management doesn't benefit from it. I do benefit massively from all the data on my reader though.... but then I scan about 30 times a day and base all my decisions on those results. That may seem excessive to some people but it enables me to understand how my body and insulin work along with the food that I eat and the exercise I do.
Just wondering what you hope to gain from using a phone that you can't get from the reader, particularly as you can only make adjustments to your lifestyle rather than look for trends where insulin dose adjustment may be highlighted for those of us on insulin. I appreciate you say that it indicates not to eat cake when your levels are 14 but that is an immediate response to information, which is fair enough, although personally I would not eat cake if I was above 8! Just wondering what you hope to gain from the historic data that a phone would store via an app like Clarity? It just seems extra expense for almost no gain in your particular circumstances and an extra phone to carry around, but perhaps I am missing something.

Afraid I can't answer your question as I just use a reader with my Libre (and don't have experience of Dexcom) and find the reader provides me with everything I need. I do have the LibreView on my PC which I download my Libre reader data onto every couple of months but that is mostly to enable my consultant to access my results. I don't really find that data any more helpful than the info I get from my reader, which stores 90 days worth of results with graphs and TIR and patterns etc. For me, that day to day info is what helps me manage my diabetes well. It is nice to see the data on the Libreview app occasionally, but my diabetes management doesn't benefit from it. I do benefit massively from all the data on my reader though.... but then I scan about 30 times a day and base all my decisions on those results. That may seem excessive to some people but it enables me to understand how my body and insulin work along with the food that I eat and the exercise I do.
Just wondering what you hope to gain from using a phone that you can't get from the reader, particularly as you can only make adjustments to your lifestyle rather than look for trends where insulin dose adjustment may be highlighted for those of us on insulin. I appreciate you say that it indicates not to eat cake when your levels are 14 but that is an immediate response to information, which is fair enough, although personally I would not eat cake if I was above 8! Just wondering what you hope to gain from the historic data that a phone would store via an app like Clarity? It just seems extra expense for almost no gain in your particular circumstances and an extra phone to carry around, but perhaps I am missing something.
Thank you for your reply .

We're all different in managing our diabetes. With the Dex One receiver noone needs to even know I am wearing a sensor unless I tell someone however it's not discrete. If it had the info on my phone someone would think I was looking at Facebook, email etc. I'm not sure what phone I want to upgrade or downgrade to so a second phone just for the app which once I have changed my phone and it's compatible I can sell the second phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back