Haven't they heard of Type 1 in China?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems that journalists the world over have an aversion to actually pulling their fingers out and doing some research. Sigh. Hang on, can we report this fine specimen of vermin to the politiburo? We may stand a cance of at least Chinese journalists being well versed in how to research an article properly. They might even actually do it with the threat of a spell in the gulag!

I don't believe journalists could report the facts factually if they tried.

Nothing suprises me. What tosh. On Streatham High Road you can buy the cure for diabetes according to the huge sign on the front!

...I keep meaning to pop in and buy it but Ive been very busy for the last 4 years 😉

Nothing suprises me. What tosh. On Streatham High Road you can buy the cure for diabetes according to the huge sign on the front!

...I keep meaning to pop in and buy it but Ive been very busy for the last 4 years 😉

Photo please! 🙂

Its so strange, as when I was younger I thought that type one was the only kind there was, sounds silly but I was only 5 🙄 I hadnt heard of type two... I hate the way the news talks about it as if its some sort of burden to society, im pretty sure type 2 can be hireditary? or even due to ethnic origin etc.....

Just a thought - could they be reporting that the age at which people are diagnosed with Type 2 is getting younger.

I misread your post Northener, I could have sworn it said Clotted Cream Icecream - now I've got one of those naughty urges - might have to go and have a cornetto.

China has a large number of type 2s, possibly the highest rate in the world. This is recent and most studies feel that those diagnosed are the tip of an iceberg(about 15% are formally diagosed). The press is becoming aware of the future problems so is just starting to make it's readers aware.
There are areas of China with quite high rates of type 1 but until recently it was very much an illness not spoken of: a taboo . The one child policy, coupled with poor/expensive health care (particularly in rural areas) meant that a diagnosis of type 1 as a child led very quickly to an early death.
Yes, a poorly informed article but at least it is being brought out into the open.

China has a large number of type 2s, possibly the highest rate in the world. This is recent and most studies feel that those diagnosed are the tip of an iceberg(about 15% are formally diagosed). The press is becoming aware of the future problems so is just starting to make it's readers aware.
There are areas of China with quite high rates of type 1 but until recently it was very much an illness not spoken of: a taboo . The one child policy, coupled with poor/expensive health care (particularly in rural areas) meant that a diagnosis of type 1 as a child led very quickly to an early death.
Yes, a poorly informed article but at least it is being brought out into the open.

92 million, according to the article - frightening! I agree that the article is highlighting the younger ages of Type 2 - with such a huge population, it must be more apparent. I was surprised that there was no reference at all to Type 1, but maybe in light of what you say Helen, it is understandable. It must be awful for the poor familes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back