Have you become a hypocondriac since you got diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just wondered how other people felt on this?

I left it 6 months after getting symptoms of diabetes before going to the doctors, because I always thought "Things like diabetes won't happen to me". Eventually I had lost a stone and decided I had to get checked out - and my boyfriend told me I was being a hypochondriac! Needless to say he had to eat his words when I got my blood test results.

However, since then, I feel like I always think "It could happen to me" about anything! Then a friend died earlier this year from a lymphoma which he never knew he had, which was awfully sad and I know very rare, but I think that has made the hypochondia worse!

Just wondered if there are any other fellow sufferers with over-active imaginations out there?

Hi pigeon.

Thankfully no, but I was diagnosed as a teenager so I suppose it softens the emotional blow a bit.

I've found that, as a diabetic, I have learned to try and understand my body and take an interest in my health (even though I haven't always been vigilant about maintaining it!) as well as learning about the biology and science behind it all.

Whether it's this that makes me a lot more relaxed and rational about it or whether I just 'am' I'm not sure, but it takes the mystery out of many things that may otherwise seem scary.

Rob

My diagnosis was a comlplete shock to me - I went from being very smug at how much fitter and healthier than my peers I was, about to run a marathon, to suddenly being the most ill in my life with people telling me this that and the other was failing - diabetes, heart attack, liver problems, problems with my blood, huge weight loss. All of a sudden I felt decrepit and very mortal and realised that, yes, things can just strike you down.

At the same time I think there is also a bit of the opposite effect of 'right, I've got one of the 'big' ones, now I should be 'safe' from the other 'biggies', although obviously there's no truth or logic in that.

I don't think that I'm a hypocondriac, but I'd say that I'm more aware of things going on and am less reluctant to go and see the GP about anything bothering me.

Andy

Pigeon, it's understandable to feel this way when you lose someone close to you from illness. The shock of being diagnosed with diabetes and living with the threat of possible complications should we not control it are constantly on our minds, and does leave us feeling more vulnerable then ever before. The media don't help much with constant horror stories about diabetes, but what they fail to mention that it is only a very small percentage that go on to have life-threatening complications or even die from diabetes, yes it is a serious condition and we must respect it and look after ourselves as best we can.

As for being hypochondriacs...... well it's always better to be safe than sorry and I would advise anyone who feels unwell to contact their gp and get check-out in the first instant, it's never a case of wasting a doctors time, after all that is what there paid for and most will only be to happy to put a patients mind at ease.

Such a thought provoking question.

After my diagnosis in January, I must have been at the docs two, sometimes three times a week for about 3 months with diabetes and levels and starting insulin and all the jazz that goes with it.

I am a bit wary now... just incase its something else thats serious! but for that reason, I do look after myself better to try and avoid going.

That sounds pretty sad lol

Id say the same as Andy on this one, im so much more aware mentally about what can go wrong with me if i dont control my diabetes,but i certainly dont blame every ailment i get on D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back