1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Have I Plateaued?

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by Anitram, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Anitram

Anitram Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Since being diagnosed in March I've been managing my diet in order to get my BG levels into a good place.

Fasting average:
    March 9.2
    April 6.3
    May 6.0
    June 5.7
    July 5.7 (to date)

Two hours after main meal:
    March 7.7
    April 6.5
    May 6.1
    June 5.9
    July 5.9 (to date)

I think I'm in a good place but wonder whether I should be making further changes in order to drive them lower or should I just accept that I've reached a plateau and am unlikely to get any lower?

Due my next Hba1c in 3 weeks and hoping to have come down from May's result of 56.

Martin

2. eggyg

eggyg Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I would wait Martin and see what your next results are before making any drastic changes. Don’t forget it’s a marathon ( other chocolate bars are available) not a sprint! You have done amazingly well in such a short time. :)

everydayupsanddowns likes this.
  3. Eddy Edson

Eddy Edson Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Don't think anybody could really say with any authority.

But you are in a good place from the look of those numbers and I doubt that there's much reason why you would need to try to force things lower.

It may well be that your waking levels do come down further over time - they're usually the last to snap into "normal" range, from what I've read.

FWIW, I had a big daily avg BG step-down after plateauing for a few weeks after my weight loss went beyond ~10kg, without changing diet, from around the start of September last year:

upload_2019-7-13_21-6-22.png

And since then there's been another step-down, to a daily avg around 4.8, if you believe my latest HbA1c (which I don't 100%), maybe from increased exercise.

Anitram likes this.
  4. Docb

Docb Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Saw my DN yesterday and she was a little concerned that my levels - a bit higher than Anitrams but not too dissimilar - were too low and might account for some of the problems I have been having with fatigue and total lack of stamina. So we have have decided maintain my diet but stop my gliclazide to see if that pushes them up a bit to average to around 7 and get my HbA1c up from 41 to nearer 50. If it works then it might suggest that driving blood glucose down might not always be a good thing. Can only see what happens.

Anitram likes this.
  5. MeeTooTeeTwo

MeeTooTeeTwo Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Those are excellent numbers, Martin - well done.

I've been trying to do the same thing with my readings, and they are also reducing like yours. Initially I thought that I could tackle this with science and statistics – but how wrong was I? There seems to be no logic sometimes to the outcomes of little trails and tests that I’ve done to prove/disprove a theory.

I would second what @eggyg said and continue doing what you’ve been doing so far and wait and see what your next HbA1c is. Your last 3 months averages (which is what HbA1c is based on) are in the optimum range as far as I can see. I’d say you could expect your results to be low 40’s or lower!

Keep up the good work.

Dez

6. Anitram

Anitram Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Thanks, Dez. I would be over the moon if I get an Hba1c that low.

Walter Wall, Carpet Fitter - I get it.
    Who's next? Confessions of a Dentist by Phil McCafferty?

Martin

7. MeeTooTeeTwo

MeeTooTeeTwo Well-Known Member

Type 2
    "What a Relief" by Eva Cy :p

8. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I just stuck to the same way of eating which got my BG levels down below 8 mmol/l after eating, which was after a few months of low carbing. My numbers went a bit 'ping pong' for a few weeks, and then settled down and sank further than ever - I suspect that it takes a while for all the systems to lose their frantic attempts to cope and turn themselves rubber side down again.

SB2015 likes this.