Have i been stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
While I was shopping this morning i was down the drinks aisle and my eyes caught a bottle of cloudy lemonade and i though oh not had that in a while i'll grab a bottle it was sugar free and off home i went, had a glass with my lunch and tea and felt abit like a hyper was coming on, then as i went to the fridge for my water i looked at the back of the bottle and it said 0.02 % of sugar, but if its sugar FREE why does it say the 00.2%, have i misunderstood or have a just been plain stupid? either way the bottle of lemonade is now down the sink.

Thanks

While I was shopping this morning i was down the drinks aisle and my eyes caught a bottle of cloudy lemonade and i though oh not had that in a while i'll grab a bottle it was sugar free and off home i went, had a glass with my lunch and tea and felt abit like a hyper was coming on, then as i went to the fridge for my water i looked at the back of the bottle and it said 0.02 % of sugar, but if its sugar FREE why does it say the 00.2%, have ai misunderstood or have a just been plain stupid?

Thanks

I think its because they dont add sugar to it, any sugar in it is natural from the fruit.
Lots of juices and drinks have this on and then say any sugar is natural. Its easy to do and not stupid at all. You think sugar free would mean that, but always check the back for the full breakdown 🙂

I think its because they dont add sugar to it, any sugar in it is natural from the fruit.
Lots of juices and drinks have this on and then say any sugar is natural. Its easy to do and not stupid at all. You think sugar free would mean that, but always check the back for the full breakdown 🙂

Thank you for the quick reply, i dont think of things like that you see, teaches me to stick to water I think.

I suppose someone somewhere has decided on a cut off point for % of sugar in a drink to be able to call it sugar free. With such a tiny percentage like that I'd drink it.

Had you actually gone high?

I suppose someone somewhere has decided on a cut off point for % of sugar in a drink to be able to call it sugar free. With such a tiny percentage like that I'd drink it.

Had you actually gone high?

tbh i was 11.4 and lately ive not been over double figures so kinda think i did yeah

Its all good now,whatever i do i must remember water water is the only drink for me lol

I think a lot of drinks with "no added sugar" still have natural fruit or milk sugars in them - things like squash or diet fanta, or even milk! If it's less than 5g sugar per helping I will drink it as that shouldn't have much effect on my BG.

0.02% is practically nothing. I really would not worry about it.

It was probably some legalistic thing that they even had to mention it on the label. Put it another way it was 99.98% something else. Rounded to 1 decimal place, it was 100% something else! :D

Andy 🙂

Sugar is a bit like salt. if it is below a certain % it is considered low or free. As this was so low it is practically sugar free. It's not stupid and you enjoyed what you had of it. I have made the mistake with NO ADDED SUGAR. All it means is no more sugar has been added to what is already there, but I made the mistake of thinking it was suagr free.

As an after thought I have a manager who thinks half a dozen cartons of fruit juice in a day is better than one bottle of diet coke and even got upset when I showed her here and about using fruit juice to treat a hypo.

Thanks guys i just assumed the weird feelings of a hyoer coming on where that to blame i'll know in the future.

Thanks guys i just assumed the weird feelings of a hyoer coming on where that to blame i'll know in the future.

We learn all the time. As this is not an exact sceince, if we didn't try things for ourselves sometimes we'd never know for sure.

We learn all the time. As this is not an exact sceince, if we didn't try things for ourselves sometimes we'd never know for sure.

Well i've just come home with 5 litres of water that will do me for 2 days hehe x

What's wrong with Keilder Water from the tap?!?

Tap water in some areas tastes awful. I always notice the difference when I visit my aunts in the west country. We have a filter on our drinking water which reduces (but doesn't eliminate) lime scale, and if you leave water to stand for half an hour the flouride they put in the stuff evaporates.

I much prefer reservoir water to borehole water, which is one of the drawbacks of living south eat of the line from the Solent to the Wash, and was an advantage of my years in Tyneside and West Midlands and visits to north west of Wash Solent line - water straight from Lake District streams during last weekend's mountain marathon for example. Plus objection to the environmental impact of and paying for (and carrying, as I shop by bike, not car) bottled water. But each to their own...
Not sure that fluoride evaporates, however long you leave it - chlorine maybe.

I would have checked how many grams that worked out to be and like pigeon if it was under 5 per bottle I would have drank it with no problems. Probably not the source of your high blood glucose.

Tap water in some areas tastes awful. I always notice the difference when I visit my aunts in the west country. We have a filter on our drinking water which reduces (but doesn't eliminate) lime scale, and if you leave water to stand for half an hour the flouride they put in the stuff evaporates.

My nans water is so dusty its horrid, and my mums in leigh makes you more thirsty. Our water is fine, but it never gets cool so i sometimes add ice.

x

I much prefer reservoir water to borehole water, which is one of the drawbacks of living south eat of the line from the Solent to the Wash, and was an advantage of my years in Tyneside and West Midlands and visits to north west of Wash Solent line - water straight from Lake District streams during last weekend's mountain marathon for example. Plus objection to the environmental impact of and paying for (and carrying, as I shop by bike, not car) bottled water. But each to their own...
Not sure that fluoride evaporates, however long you leave it - chlorine maybe.

I think itis chlorine I meant, I just couldn't remember the word when I posted! we shop on foot or by bus when we do it ourselves, so only buy bottled water if we know the taps are not going to be working for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back