Has anyone had more looser stools increasing Metformin and drinking occasional orange juice after 7 years on lower dose ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulebrun

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Does increasing Metformin dosage increase loose poos after 7 years at lower dose ?

Does increasing Metformin dosage increase loose poos after 7 years at lower dose ?
Some people have certainly found that if their dose is increased then they are unable to tolerate it and get the full blown side effect of as you say loose stools.
If it persists and you are on slow release which is supposed to be tolerated better then maybe an alternative medication would be better or you could re-evaluate your diet and see if there is anything you can improve upon there. It is easy after a time for things to slip and ideas on diet have changed in recent years.
Mentioning orange juice suggests that you may be having too much carbohydrate for you to tolerate as many would not be having orange juice being very high in carbs.

I did, I could also found after a few months I could no longer tolerate the slow release one either, I now just take 500mg per day and am fine unless I eat chocolate, which of course I shouldn’t anyway, but that seems the only times I am bad now.

Some people seem to get a short period of gastric upset when starting or changing dose of Metformin.

Fortunately for most this settles down fairly quickly. I think it can help to increase dose as slowly and gently as possible? And to ensure that tablets are being taken with a fairly substantial meal, but which is not too carby.

Alternatively the ‘slow release’ tablets are often gentler on the tum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back