Has anyone had an MRI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had a GP appointment today and was sent back to the hospital. I went this afternoon and have been booked in for an MRI of my brain on Monday. I completely forgot to ask the practicalities as I was a bit surprised by being sent to the hospital again.

They had put a cannula in my arm today for the MRI so I’m guessing it involves being given something.

I’ve got vague memories of metformin impacting MRIs and from a google looks like I might be fine taking it before but have to stop it after.

Has anyone had an MRI and have any diabetes related knowledge on them? I haven’t had one before.

I think it might depend on which part of the body is being scanned.
There was something about metformin in the instructions when my OH had a gastro MRI recently as he was given Moviprep.
If they are using contrast then you are supposed to have had a eGFR blood test within the last three months.
The leaflets come with the appointment letter but you may not get one of those if it is short notice.

My daughter had one, didn’t need any drugs for it though so sorry I can’t answer that question! If you’re wearing a CGM you’ll have to remove it, plus any jewellery/trouser belt/glasses etc. They should give you a locker to put all your stuff in. They will also give you ear plugs as the thing is VERY noisy!

I’ve had quite a few brain MRIs, but only one with contrast. The contrast medium can have a few odd transient effects. Gives me a warm bum, like I’ve wet myself, so it’s hard not laugh

Don’t worry about Metformin for a brain MRI. I’ve never had an eGFR blood test before any of my scans, I think they just assume your kidneys are working fine. It’s more of significance as you get older.

I had one, pre diabetes, on my brain, with contrast.
You have to remove all jewelery and metal things, like glasses, ear rings etc, and put them in a locker. Got given ear plugs, then I laid on a table/trolley thing with my head on a head rest so I didn't move, and was given a panic button to hold onto, in case the machine is a bit claustrophobic. I get stressed in lifts, so imagined I'd be pressing the button, but it was fine, lifts are worse. I kept my eyes shut and thought happy thoughts that I was walking in the sunshine on a beach and distracted myself with that. It was a bit cold in the MRI, so recommend bringing a hoody with you.
It's really noisy, lots of clanking noises as the magnets in the machine move round. The table you're laid on also moves, and half way through, a man injected the contrast into my arm, and then more clanking happened.

You'll be fine. Hope it goes well.

I think it might depend on which part of the body is being scanned.
There was something about metformin in the instructions when my OH had a gastro MRI recently as he was given Moviprep.
If they are using contrast then you are supposed to have had a eGFR blood test within the last three months.
The leaflets come with the appointment letter but you may not get one of those if it is short notice.
I won’t get an appointment letter or any written info, but I’ve had 3-4 tubes of blood taken, 3 times each in the last week, so hopefully one of those covered eGFR. It’s my brain that is being scanned.

Thanks for the experiences. I am autistic and worried about the noise so that was the only question I remembered to ask, she said they would give noise cancelling headphones to help with that. Haven’t told them I’m autistic but may do in case I panic! They said to wear things without any metal so that you don’t have to get changed into a gown. The rest of the hospital is absolutely boiling so can’t imagine it being cold! Will wear joggers and a hoody though.

I doubt that they will give you noise cancelling headphones unless they’ve manufactured one without any metal. More likely it will be foam ear inserts, which work reasonably well. I fell asleep during my brain and spinal cord scan using ear inserts.

I think the metal thing is pretty vital, and my guess is it would be safer to remove any piercings / jewellery / braces. Plus you can't wear a sensor like Libre, of course.

I’m not sure what happens if you have one of those pacemaker type implants? Unless those are entirely unaffected by the MRI field?

You can get away with some jewellery if it’s pure silver for example, only ferrous metals are attracted to a magnet. But safer to remove it all if not sure! When my daughter arrived we were wearing face masks, the ones with the metal strip in, and right at the last minute as daughter was sitting on the end of the scanner bench the nurse cried out “ooh - face mask!” and went to fetch one which didn’t contain a metal strip. Daughter took hers off and put it down on her lap while waiting, and it floated into the scanner!! A good demonstration of why you have to be careful! Dental braces certainly are not safe, my daughter has a friend who needed an MRI but had to wait until her braces had been removed first.

I was allowed in the scanner room with my daughter and sat just behind it so that I could see the top of her head. They gave me big ear defenders and I had to remove my glasses and belt but not jewellery, which is lucky because my rings won’t come off! Daughter had to remove everything metal as she was inside the scanner, even her hoody because it had metal eyelets in it. I think they gave her foam ear plugs. She has recently been diagnosed as autistic and is also sensitive to noise, she coped OK although didn’t find it particularly pleasant. She said the noise was low pitched enough not to cause her enormous distress, she finds high pitched noises harder to cope with. We are on a massive learning curve with autism now and almost have to relearn how to be parents, i do realise however that autism is different in everyone and your experience might not be the same, hope it helps a little at least 🙂

Thanks for the experiences. I am autistic and worried about the noise so that was the only question I remembered to ask, she said they would give noise cancelling headphones to help with that. Haven’t told them I’m autistic but may do in case I panic! They said to wear things without any metal so that you don’t have to get changed into a gown. The rest of the hospital is absolutely boiling so can’t imagine it being cold! Will wear joggers and a hoody though.
Hi Lucy,
you will be given ear protectors so this will bring the noise level down. You will also hear a voice over the radio they use telling you when to breath and when to hold your breath as well. You will also have a hand held buzzer if you need them to stop or are worried about something.
The contrast die they use is as @mikeyB said. ended up very hypo within minutes of the end of my scan due to burning off so much energy as so cold in the scanner. So wear something warm

I think the metal thing is pretty vital, and my guess is it would be safer to remove any piercings / jewellery / braces. Plus you can't wear a sensor like Libre, of course.

I’m not sure what happens if you have one of those pacemaker type implants? Unless those are entirely unaffected by the MRI field?
Implants they reduce the magnetic field from what I can gather.
Most def make sure no metal on you at all and this includes bra straps this is because any metal will heat up and burn you very badly and or go bang.

I had an MRI with contrast.
That's basically a dye to improve the image.
I cant say if it was noisy, I had headphones they supplied and played my choice of music through.
Yes, MRI compatible headphones do exist!
Part of the pre treament was a head xray thought as I couldn't assure them I had no metal debris in my eyes, and as said, no metal can go near the MRI.
That looked more like a horror film than any result ever has.

That's only if your kidney function is on the low side.

Things obviously vary! I had a brain MRI scan about 18 months ago. I had to wear a gown, no ear protection at all (but don't recall it being that noisy), at no point had to hold my breath and not aware that the table moved!

I really enjoyed it. I had to wear a sports bra with no metal in it and no jewelry. I found it strangely comforting to be in the big machine, immobile and just with the strange 'music' of the swishing and thumping. Reminded me of japanese drum music. Didn't last that long.

Last edited:
Things obviously vary! I had a brain MRI scan about 18 months ago. I had to wear a gown, no ear protection at all (but don't recall it being that noisy), at no point had to hold my breath and not aware that the table moved!
That sounds like a CT scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back