Has anyone experience migraines after taking insulin and semaglutide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confusedtype2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all I've been ticking along nicely but suddenly felt really poorly. Has anyone else had this happen. I've only been increased to 1mg Semaglutide in the past 2 weeks, I wonder if it's the increase from 0 50

What is your blood sugar level?
I get headaches when my levels are high or low but not from insulin.

Could it be due to dehydration? I believe with Semaglutide you need to drink plenty of fluids because it's action is to remove glucose via the kidneys so you are essentially flushing the excess glucose out, but if you don't drink enough you can end up more dehydrated and that will certainly cause headaches.
If it is a proper migraine, did you suffer with them before starting on this medication?

I had chronic and very severe migraines (sometimes vomiting and passing out), for more than 20 years pre-diagnosis 3.5 years ago. I went low carb as soon as I was diagnosed and I've quite miraculously not had a single migraine since. And I can even drink the odd glass of red wine which was my only known trigger.

Could it be due to dehydration? I believe with Semaglutide you need to drink plenty of fluids because it's action is to remove glucose via the kidneys so you are essentially flushing the excess glucose out, but if you don't drink enough you can end up more dehydrated and that will certainly cause headaches.
If it is a proper migraine, did you suffer with them before starting on this medication?

I had chronic and very severe migraines (sometimes vomiting and passing out), for more than 20 years pre-diagnosis 3.5 years ago. I went low carb as soon as I was diagnosed and I've quite miraculously not had a single migraine since. And I can even drink the odd glass of red wine which was my only known trigger.
I think you’re confused with empagliflozin. Semaglutide works by slowing your digestion to make you feel fuller and make it easier for you to reduce your portions.

My levels do fluctuate but generally in the 7's
Hi thanks for the response. I guess it's very likely yes. I don't drink as much as I should, so even if there is confusion, I could try increasing my fluid intake. I never had migraines before. Infact I haven't had one since I was a child. That's how I knew what was happening, it lasted for about 2 days not pleasant at all. I am due to see my diabetic nurse soon, so I guess a conversation with her could help

I think you’re confused with empagliflozin. Semaglutide works by slowing your digestion to make you feel fuller and make it easier for you to reduce your portions.
Oops! Thanks for the correction.

Yes I am on Ozempic and Humulin M3 and I have been having headaches - a bad one yesterday. I think this is because my BG is lower than my body is used to (finally in range!) and that eventually it will stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back