Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Weird I know but all knitters or crafts people that use their hands s lot how do you cope? My skin on my hands is getting like paper and so sore . They are dry yet I love my knitting but my fingers feel like they are being torn . Hand creams don’t seem to help . I looked at gloves hut think they may just rare or give me no dexterity. Is this common with diabetics? I was fine until recently and now my skin is playing up.

My skin on my hands and feet splits and bleeds and has done all my life, particularly at this time of year as the temp and atmospherics change, so for me it is not related to diabetes. Keeping them warm and moisturizing is the key for me and taping any splits with Micropore to help them heal. Just as well I don't knit as I would probably end up with red splodges on my work. 🙄

My skin on my hands and feet splits and bleeds and has done all my life, particularly at this time of year as the temp and atmospherics change, so for me it is not related to diabetes. Keeping them warm and moisturizing is the key for me and taping any splits with Micropore to help them heal. Just as well I don't knit as I would probably end up with red splodges on my work. 🙄
Thanks oh I’d not thought of micropore I wonder if it’s better . Nothing is waterproof I go through endless plasters. It might not be related but my skin was never like this afore . Thinking maybe more age and date I say woman related

I find that my skin needs moisture (which ultimately water is) so I soak them in nice warm water for a few minutes to soften the skin and hydrate it and the heat improves blood flow) and then dry thoroughly, apply Germolene to any cracks and tape them with Micropore and then moisturize the rest with a nice thick coconut body butter which then traps the moisture in my skin. I have tried all sorts of other hand creams but the body butter seems to work best for me and very inexpensive. If they are really bad I use emulsifying ointment and I put a good layer of that on before I soak them and it acts like a moisturizing soap. It leaves a horrible greasy scum in the basin but it does help my hands.

I’ll try the butter as I find coconut oil good too.

When I was working in a microbiology lab, I was continuously needing to wash my hands and the antibacterial soap did my hands no favours. A good quality hand cream rather than hand lotions was much better. Neutrogena was a good one. Putting it on at night regularly, you could try wearing thin cotton gloves so it doesn't rub off.

When I was working in a microbiology lab, I was continuously needing to wash my hands and the antibacterial soap did my hands no favours. A good quality hand cream rather than hand lotions was much better. Neutrogena was a good one. Putting it on at night regularly, you could try wearing thin cotton gloves so it doesn't rub off.
Yes I do that and okeefes is the best hand cream I find but the pins just repetively break my skin

I do especially when doing my jewellery making, I use fingerless gloves which helps and been looking at around at gloves for diabetes but most seem too thick to allow the CB movement I need. Also staying in an even temperature helps.

I do especially when doing my jewellery making, I use fingerless gloves which helps and been looking at around at gloves for diabetes but most seem too thick to allow the CB movement I need. Also staying in an even temperature Thank
Knitting pins sorry you would say needles

I do especially when doing my jewellery making, I use fingerless gloves which helps and been looking at around at gloves for diabetes but most seem too thick to allow the CB movement I need. Also staying in an even temperature helps.
Thank you . Yes I’m going to try the rubber thimbles but thinking they too might not give the feeling I need too. Wow clever to make jewellery . Enjoy

Ho
Thank you . Yes I’m going to try the rubber thimbles but thinking they too might not give the feeling I need too. Wow clever to make jewellery . Enjoy
pe you find they help, they are too bulky for me, I have pretty much had to give my hobby up now and missing it, hope things go ok x

Ho

pe you find they help, they are too bulky for me, I have pretty much had to give my hobby up now and missing it, hope things go ok x
I tried the ladies in the shop and feel the same. Oh I am sorry you have had to give up. I’ll suffer a bit more with my hands but it’s my eyesight that I think will be the thing to end all my pleasure. It was good on the diabetic tests but they found a mole or ulcer which I think is causing the fussiness.

I
I tried the ladies in the shop and feel the same. Oh I am sorry you have had to give up. I’ll suffer a bit more with my hands but it’s my eyesight that I think will be the thing to end all my pleasure. It was good on the diabetic tests but they found a mole or ulcer which I think is causing the fussiness.
wonder if you can get silicone versions? They might work better for you?
Thank you, I hope you can keep going in some shape or form, please take care x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back