Hand Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedford 1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone recommend a good hand cream? Am getting dry, itchy skin on my hands. Type 2 diabetic on Metformin.

Changing your soap might help too. I find liquid soaps can be very drying even the moisturising ones. For hand cream, I like the Body Shop Hemp one but it’s not cheap. Cheaper options are Garnier Body Repair Hand cream or Garnier Intensive 7 Day Shea Hand Cream.

I second the Hemp one from The body shop, the Vitamin E on from superdrug is decent too. if I run out Johnson’s baby lotion and a drop of oil/Vaseline mixed with it has done wonders for my dry skin lately

I'm doing a lot of swimming and I've been getting dry and itchy, presumably from the chemicals in the pool. I found that using Dove Body Wash instead of ordinary shower gel has helped. Maybe using Dove as a handwash would work.

I won't be in exactly the same position as my dry hands are caused by hand washing due to OCD and I also have sensitive skin and the best soap for me is bars of Dove due to it containing moisturiser and the only hand creams I like are the tubs or tubes of O'Keeffe's (I don't like greasy creams or creams that leave the feeling of a layer) xx

I second the Hemp one from The body shop, the Vitamin E on from superdrug is decent too. if I run out Johnson’s baby lotion and a drop of oil/Vaseline mixed with it has done wonders for my dry skin lately
Yep, Hemp from Body Shop is the best one for me. Smells a bit like faint patchouli. My sister recommended it but warned it smelt "awful". When I told her I loved the smell she gave me that look that big sisters can give and said I just an old hippy 😎

I generally rely on unscented Neutrogena and oKeefe’s ‘working hands’ to get me though the winter months. These are the most effective for me, as i often forget at the ‘crispy’ stage, and only remember when the splits start appearing

We also occasionally had some Palmers cocoa butter ones which were OK, but not as effective as Neutrogena and oKeefe’s

I use Neutragena, which also sorted the dry and cracked heels I used to suffer with. I also wash my hands at home with plain, unscented soap rather than antibacterial liquid soaps.

Neutragena is really good on rough cracked hands, used it for years.

I found that using Dove Body Wash instead of ordinary shower gel has helped.
Take care if using moisturised body wash before applying a CGM such as a Libre sensor.
They tend not to stick too well to the "grease" that these gels leave behind.

(Not sure if you use Libre, Chris - your post prompted my thought for all Librarians)

I use E45 cream to keep my feet in good condition, and of course rub the surplus into my hands. Nice soft skin - no cracks

Thank you everyone for all the information and advice. Hopefully this will help me sort out the problem and it will not reoccur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back