Half of Those With Disabilities Are Inactive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Half of those who are disabled aren't getting the recommended amount of heart-healthy aerobic activity, and it's putting their health at risk, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the study, 11.6 percent of adults age 18 to 64 in the United State report a disability, ranging from vision to mobility issues. And many say their disability prevents them from getting enough exercise.

Researchers said that those with disabilities are almost twice as likely to be inactive compared to those without disabilities (47.1 percent versus 26.1 percent), and were 50 percent more likely to report having one or more chronic diseases including type 2 diabetes, cancer and heart disease.

http://diabeteshealth.com/read/2014/06/07/8273/half-of-those-with-disabilities-are-inactive/

I don't say it goes for everyone, but with some conditions, if people are in a lot of pain they wont move around much because it is too painful From my recent experiences over the last 6-8 months, when I was in a lot of pain it was difficult to stand and do things for long, even with the support of a walking stick or something to lean on, even going from my arm chair to the bathroom. I agree it is worth making the effort, but sometimes it is really too painful to do so. Things like swimming are good, but with no help or support to participate even this is very hard.

This article really annoys me. It totally ignores the possible reasons folk may not get enough exercise, such as levels of pain and lack of access to resources. It assumes that all they need is a doctor telling them to get out more, which is ridiculous.

Some folk have to deal with levels of pain that sometimes make life a total misery, I just happen to be one of them. I get what exercise I can but it isn't enough and I know that. For example, the recent weekend in Glasgow was only possible for me because I took massive doses of my pain killers throughout and I've been paying the price ever since with greatly increased pain levels. These levels also likely remain elevated for some days to come during which time I'll be largely immobile because I can't keep taking the pills at that dosage till things ease off, I just have to wait it out. I'm sure there are many others out there in the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back