Half of GPs in favour of charging for routine appointments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just over half of GPs are in favour of the NHS charging a small fee for routine appointments, with many believing it is the only way of managing their workload and curbing rising patient demand, a Pulse survey has found.

Of the 440 GPs polled in the survey, 51% said they would support charging a small fee for GP appointments, compared with 36% who would not.

That represents a significant increase on the 34% of GPs who said they would support charging for appointments in a similar poll last September, and suggests many GPs are willing to consider more drastic solutions to reduce their growing workload.

The survey results come at a time when GPs have been reporting growing workload due to the imposed 2013 contract deal, with some willing to take a pay cut rather than bid for new work under four new DESs being offered this year, and worrying levels of GP burnout.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/fi...ne-appointments/20003741.article#.UfIxTo22aSo

(free registration required)

And there was me thinking GP's had a bonus package for having someone with diabetes on their books.

I think this would be so wrong :( It's interesting reading some of the comments on the Pulse article, many of them pointing out how it would not solve anything, just maybe stop some people from seeking help and therefore needing more expensive care later. Also, the idea that the charges could be means-tested, with 'poor' people 'only' paying ?10 - clearly this is imagined by someone who has never experienced financial hardship. The NHS was formed precisely so that people would be able to get care when needed, and not based on ability to pay. We all pay through our NI anyway, don't we? I'm sure all that money only ever goes to the health service... 🙄

Well all I can say is:

mass_town_swears_off_swearing_640x360_wblog.jpg

Can you imagine someone on benefits who receives ?71/week managing to pay ?10 for a Dr's visit?

My personal view is that if you miss an apt then you pay for it.
Drunks in A&E charge them, they can afford to p** their money down the drain better use for it is for the NHS instead.

Can you imagine someone on benefits who receives ?71/week managing to pay ?10 for a Dr's visit?

My personal view is that if you miss an apt then you pay for it.
Drunks in A&E charge them, they can afford to p** their money down the drain better use for it is for the NHS instead.

I'd have no trouble with that. Why should A&E be packed out at weekends with abusive drunks who put themselves there because they were 'enjoying' a night out? Might make a few of them act more responsibly. Also, my dentist charges ?20 if you miss an appointment without 24 hours notice, which I've had to stump up myself once and it certainly gave me the incentive to make sure I haven't missed another one! I even turned up a day early once! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back