Half of all men in England ?will be obese by 2040?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Around half of all men will be obese within 30 years, with women not far behind, experts have warned.
They say that if current trends continue, cases of heart disease, strokes, cancer and diabetes related to obesity will soar, costing the NHS ?320billion in the next 20 years.
Researcher Tim Marsh, of the National Heart Forum, said: ?Whilst there are going to be inevitable healthcare costs as the consequences of an ageing population ? wear and tear that we can?t do much to prevent ? this is entirely preventable.?
He revealed details of England?s obesity timebomb at the European Congress on Obesity in graphs showing the relentless rise of the problem since 1993.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-treating-related-illnesses-reach-320bn.html

Obese appears to be the buzz word this year, wonder what it will be next year. I'm fed up of being told whats good for me and whats bad, if we listen to the experts about what we shouldn't eat, we will soon be struggling to find something we can eat.

They tell you why you shouldn't smoke, they say it causes cancer.
My mother never smoked a cigarette in her life, she died at 63 years old riddled with cancer.. My Gran smoked woodbines all her life and died at 97 years of age after a nasty fall,she didn't have cancer, but these experts can't explain that.

When I was a kid, we had no fridges, washing machines etc, our food was bought loose nothing was prepacked, yet there wasn't half the health problems then as now. I think we have gone over the top with food and hygene

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Obese appears to be the buzz word this year, wonder what it will be next year. I'm fed up of being told whats good for me and whats bad, if we listen to the experts about what we shouldn't eat, we will soon be struggling to find something we can eat.

They tell you why you shouldn't smoke, they say it causes cancer.
My mother never smoked a cigarette in her life, she died at 63 years old riddled with cancer.. My Gran smoked woodbines all her life and died at 97 years of age after a nasty fall, but these experts can't explain that.

When I was a kid, we had no fridges, washing machines etc, our food was bought loose nothing was prepacked, yet there wasn't have the health problems then as now. I think we have gone over the top with food and hygene

Just my thoughts.
Definetly agree, they was something i heard in the news briefly yesterday they wanted people to stop using the word obese and use something similier like you are not of healthy weight

Could not agree more John, I think 'obesity' has become the last acceptable label that is being wheeled out at every opportunity.
My Dad, was a very cuddly man, never slim once 40+ but lived till 83, succumbing to prostate cancer in the end, but a happy healthy man up to his 80th birthday. He never, ever ate junk food, was not a big drinker, just loved my Mum's home cooking.
I am sick of all this scaremongering, we will shortly be afraid of our own shadows. The urge by the medical profession to dole out lables is getting ridiculous, particularly if you read the story today about all the children being labelled 'obese' when they are fit and healthy, active youngsters.
The cynic in me says this is all about upping the budgets and not necessarily about health. I know there are real concerns about too much junk food and not enough exercise but seriously I look at the children attending my nurseries and there is not an overweight one amongst them. Should we really believe all we are told?

We will ignore obesity at our peril. If that stat is true it is a worrying state of affairs and WILL have consequences for the NHS.

It is no coincidence that the level of Type 2 diabetes is rising with increasing obesity levels.

Also, it is a mistake to think that just because one overweight person appears healthy that it means that all overweight people will be healthy. It's the same with smoking. Some people will be lucky and will not contract lung cancer even though they smoke. Others will be unlucky and get lung cancer even if they don't smoke.

It's all down to DNA, environment, statistics and probabilities at the end of the day. There are pretty concrete links between obesity and type 2 diabetes just as there are pretty concrete links between smoking and lung cancer/heart disease.

Andy 🙂

Last edited:
I think that is the point - IF that stat is true? Where do they come up with these figures?

I agree, our DNA being the biggest indicator and our lifestyles plus a dollop of good/bad luck being part of it too.
I just would like some of the fat bashing to stop - it's such an easy target and if people who are shorter than average or taller than average were being constantly targeted there would be a massive outcry. Yet genetics dictate that and it is accepted.

I think that is the point - IF that stat is true? Where do they come up with these figures?

According to the blurb in the article, the stat is a forward projection of current trends.

Normally populations tend to keep following the trend unless acted upon by some other force. So it is not an unreasonable extrapolation.

Andy 🙂

I wonder if they ever reverse back these various figures and see if what was predicted has come true. It would be very interesting, especially with all the dire warnings we have had over the years, I mean people are actually living longer, which seems like a contradiction to all the doom and gloom we have heard.

I don't mean to be flippant, I accept that obesity/smoking/drinking/drugs are all potentially dangerous, I just worry that nearly every day a new scare story comes out about a food/behaviour/medicine that leaves people wondering what to do to be right.

You only need to go to shop for a paper & some people want to park 2ft from the door !😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back