Haiti Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya, i've been wondering about the people who can't get access to insulin or meds out there and my heart goes out to them. Imagine surviving the earthquake but then something bad happening because you don't have your medication :(

IDF are sending out diabetic supplies, and also IDDT are working with them (their international side) and your surplus supplies will go out there as well. (You'd hope anyway - cynical me)

Hi Falcon - IDF are certainly a legit charity and immediately sent out enough insulin and supplies for 200 people for a month. They look for money donations and negotiate deals with the companies to purchase insulin and supplies at a very cheap rate. IDDT take spare insulin etc., but I wouldn't think any of this is going to Haiti because of the logistics - IDF are better placed in this respect.

There's a good video where they discuss their work here:

http://www.lifeforachild.idf.org/pages/film-clips-and-photos-0

Hi Falcon - IDF are certainly a legit charity and immediately sent out enough insulin and supplies for 200 people for a month. They look for money donations and negotiate deals with the companies to purchase insulin and supplies at a very cheap rate. IDDT take spare insulin etc., but I wouldn't think any of this is going to Haiti because of the logistics - IDF are better placed in this respect.

There's a good video where they discuss their work here:

http://www.lifeforachild.idf.org/pages/film-clips-and-photos-0

Hiya, a mum on CWD emailed IDDT and asked if they could go through them. this was there response:

Hi *****,

Thank you for contacting us and for your kind offer. Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust UK, is an IFL affiliate and has a collection centre.

These are the only items that we collect... please do not send any others:

Items must be no longer needed, unopened, and in-date with at least 3 months to use-by date:

* insulin (at least 5 months to use-by date)
* glucose test strips (at least 5 months to use-by date)
* unused glucose meters that are less than 2 years old
* unopened boxes of individually wrapped syringes (at least 5 months to use-by date)

Please send by ordinary mail. No cool pack needed for insulin - it stores well for the very short period involved in transit.
You are helping save lives.

Please contact:

Jenny Hirst
Co-Chairman
Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust

Thank you all -- we've been a bit teary-eyed this end trying to imagine how absolutely dreadful it must be. The dependence on one thing for life is so fragile.

Oh dear. Glad to know of quick reactions.

xxoo

Ooh I haven't donated towards Haiti yet because I feel like the small amount I can afford would do nothing. I know every little helps but others I know will be donating soo much more than me. I think I will donate to this charity as it's specific and I know what my money is helping with. I'll also buy the charity single that's on it's way 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back