Hairdressers more common in care homes than dentists, says patients group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
VULNERABLE elderly people in care homes in Bolton have a better chance of seeing a hairdresser than a dentist, a patients' group has warned.

Healthwatch Bolton rang all of the care homes in the borough to ask what oral health care was on offer for elderly residents — and said their results showed the offer was "pretty desperate".

They found that only 13 per cent of the care homes surveyed in Bolton offered oral health training to their staff — despite 89 per cent of managers saying they would welcome training.

A spokesman for Healthwatch Bolton told the Health and Wellbeing board at Bolton Council that care homes did not know whose responsibility it was to make sure their residents’ teeth were in good health.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...are_homes_than_dentists__says_patients_group/

A bit silly, this. Of course hairdressers are more common. People need them more frequently.

Their basic point is valid though. Dental care is important in care homes. However, I think their comparison was fatuous and detracts from their argument.

Agree with Andy. Care home workers aren't supported enough in their valuable work. However, brushing teeth twice a day is best practice, whether your own teeth or belong to someone for whom you are caring. Instructions are on all denture care products.

Dentists recommend check ups at 6 monthly / yearly intervals. Most people see a hairdresser more often. I only go once every 3 or 4 months when hair gets to long, shaggy, hot when running, not quick to dry after swimming or shower. Most women get hair done far more often, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back