Haircuts...

Kate_b

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I went to get a well overdue haircut yesterday but now feeling quite worried about it. I wore my mask, but the hairdresser was only wearing a face shield. I know now that this is government guidelines but I wish I hadn‘t stayed/I’d asked her to put a mask on as i feel it was a risk that she wasn’t masked up too. Has anyone been for a haircut and had the same experience? Feel like I just need to put my mind at rest a bit.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think you will find the hairdresser is meant to wear a mask as well as a shield.
The lady who came to my home said I had to wear a mask she also had a mask plus a shield/visor and a protective apron. Hair was cut out on the patio.

MarkGeordie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think you will find the hairdresser is meant to wear a mask as well as a shield.
The lady who came to my home said I had to wear a mask she also had a mask plus a shield/visor and a protective apron. Hair was cut out on the patio.
Guidance from the gov website does not say that. It just recommends the visor. (See below).

“In workplaces such as hairdressers and barbers, spas, beauty salons, tattoo and photoshoot studios, it is likely to be difficult to maintain social distancing, as employees need to work in close proximity to their clients, usually for an extended period of time. An extended period of time refers to the majority of the working day, irrespective of the number of clients served during the day. The person providing a service (such as hairdressers or beauticians, because of the period of time spent in close proximity to a person’s face, mouth and nose) should therefore wear further protection in addition to any that they might usually wear. This should take the form of a clear visor that covers the face and provides a barrier between the wearer and the client from respiratory droplets caused by sneezing, coughing or speaking. Visors must fit the user and be worn properly. It should cover the forehead, extend below the chin, and wrap around the side of the face. A screen may be used by practitioners working with clients’ hands.

Both disposable and re-usable visors are available. A re-usable visor must be cleaned and disinfected regularly using normal cleaning products. You should strongly encourage clients to wear a face covering in enclosed public spaces such as salons or studios where social distancing may be difficult and where they come into contact with people that they do not normally meet.”

brisr949

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You had a mask, they had a visor, what more do you need?..we have been so scared by this we are questioning every scenario. You both took more than adequate precautions in my opinion.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I felt fine at my hair appointment the place was quite maybe me and another customer, it was clean, well aired.
She had visor on and I had a mask.
My only issue was when she washed my hair my mask got wet, which I have read isn’t ideal.

However that was 2 weeks ago and I haven’t caught anything.
most of the time she would have been at the back or side of you.

Are you in a high infection area? We are not so I feel safe here but if you are in a more infected area that might be an issue.

Kate_b

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I know, I think it’s really easy to pick apart every situation as to whether you’ve been safe enough. I’ve spent so long (as we all have) being so cautious and worried about it all that I think I just find it really hard trying to readjust to a new way of doing things without freaking out over every scenario.

@PhoebeC - thank you, this really helps! No, I’m not in any of the high infection areas so hopefully it will be ok.

Becka

You had a mask, they had a visor, what more do you need?..we have been so scared by this we are questioning every scenario. You both took more than adequate precautions in my opinion.
A visor is to protect the wearer, a face covering is to protect others. If the hairdresser was only wearing a visor then they were offering no protection to Kate_b.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Try not to worry @Kate_b

Worrying won’t alter what has gone before, but it may negatively impact your experience of ‘now’.

The risks will still be very low, and the hairdresser has been wearing a visor, so it is unlikely that they have covid to pass on to you.

You might choose to isolate yourself for 7-10 days if you are really concerned, and perhaps avoid meeting with anyone elderly or vulnerable if you are worried?