Hair loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Having fairly recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes I have come to realise that my thinning hair may be caused by this complaint. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does controlling the diabetes also control the hair loss? Are there any medications anyone has tried which have proved successful? With diabetes and COPD to contend with, I find it very depressing to have the additonal worry of my appearance. Any advice would be very gratefully received. Jill

Hi Jill

A short while after I was diagnosed I started to loose quite a bit of my hair thankfully I have lots of thick hair so it didn't really make much of a difference to me but I know how worrying it is when it happens. Once I was in single figures the hair loss stopped, I hope that helps x

Might be worth being tested for PCOS, as that's linked to diabetes (in that people with PCOS are more likely to get type 2 diabetes, as it's thought to be caused by insulin resistance). Metformin helped my PCOS a long time ago (and helped with my hair loss), odd that I dont get it for my diabetes though LOL.

Might be worth being tested for PCOS, as that's linked to diabetes (in that people with PCOS are more likely to get type 2 diabetes, as it's thought to be caused by insulin resistance). Metformin helped my PCOS a long time ago (and helped with my hair loss), odd that I dont get it for my diabetes though LOL.

whats PCOS again?

Cheers Steffie, I also don't know what PCOS stands for.

Oh Northener answered - but I still don't know what it is.

well after reading that i have all the right symptoms

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshealth/facts/pcos.htm

That kind of covers it, although they've lumped PCO (polycystic ovaries) in with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), they're not the same thing. In that you can have polycystic ovaries (all it means is multiple cysts on your ovaries) without having PCOS (which is a collection of symptoms - one of which IS polycystic ovaries - caused by insulin resistance and subsequent increased male hormones), just as you can have PCOS without having cysts on your ovaries!

Erm. I'm not very good at explaining.

PCO: just the cysts on the ovaries - very common
PCOS: collection of symptoms caused by insulin resistance/high androgen levels - one of which is PCO.

If you get me...

I think this says it better:

What is the Difference Between PCO and PCOS?

The term 'polycystic ovaries' describes the ovaries, as seen on the ultrasound scan above. Many women have ovaries that are polycystic, but do not have any of the other symptoms or hormone findings as described previously.
Overall, around 20% of women of the general population have ovaries with this appearance, and what isn't known yet from current research is whether this is one end of a long scale including the full polycystic ovary syndrome or a sign that symptoms are more likely to develop in the future.

http://www.womens-health.co.uk/pcos2.asp

And this...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090612124703AA10WXF

I no longer have overies having had a radical hysterectomy 15 years ago but I did show symptoms of PCO when I had them. I'm on the diet and exercise regime at the moment so no metformin. Perhaps I'll ask the doctor next time I see him.

Thanks all for your responses.

Sorry - hope I didnt offend, I'm one down myself (hyst in 2004, ovary removed 2-3 years ago).

ive given up with mine, just had another load fall out today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back