Hair loss with Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabooties

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Folks,
Just trying to work out if this is diabetes, metformin, or something else, but I'm shedding hair like there's no tomorrow. It started not long after I was diagnosed, which is also obviously when I started metformin.
It's not a balding situation. I can tell because I have a ridiculous fuzzy halo of regrowth/baby hair happening at the same time. It's quite the beauty pageant over here...
Nevertheless, I am literally pulling out handfuls when I wash my hair and am constantly shedding all day... the vacuum is not amused. It's similar to post-pregnancy, for those that have had that experience... but seems to be going on longer ‍♀️
Anyone had similar experiences? Does it end, or should I be weaving myself a human hair blanket...

An underactive thyroid can cause hair loss, as can very high blood sugars. So if numbers are fine perhaps ask GP to check thyroid.

Ooh, goodness, I hadn't thought of something like that. Thanks for the heads up. I'll research... and all my GP too.

Yes i have experienced this and i am now 14 months in. I am also being treated for underactive thyroid. My sugars have been normal since last year and i am now only taking 500g of Metformin. My Thyroid is also now normal readings so i am hoping my hair will thicken up again. I would say i have lost maybe 50%. I think it could be a bit thicker than the first few months, but could be i am just getting used to it. I use hair fibres to mask the thinning and this helps a bit.
Advice from my GP was to get a hat!! Wouldn't perform any checks to find a cause. Said probably my age even though my menopause was a few years back. Did offer me HRT without any tests though which i refused.

Sorry to hear this @Diabooties

Let us know what the checks uncover.

Hope you don’t have too much bother getting the blood tests done with the current shortage of vials. :(

@Diabooties and @Loobyloo are you losing hair anywhere else on your body e.g. arms, legs, eyebrows? It could be Alopecia Areata which is an auto-immune condition. I also have under-active thyroid but when it was under control I couldn’t understand why my hair didn’t start growing again. Eventually I got my GP to test me and it turned out that I had the antibodies which turned against my own hair follicles. I hated those hair fibre thingies, got absolutely everywhere. I now wear a very good wig which has given me my self-confidence back.

@Diabooties and @Loobyloo are you losing hair anywhere else on your body e.g. arms, legs, eyebrows? It could be Alopecia Areata which is an auto-immune condition. I also have under-active thyroid but when it was under control I couldn’t understand why my hair didn’t start growing again. Eventually I got my GP to test me and it turned out that I had the antibodies which turned against my own hair follicles. I hated those hair fibre thingies, got absolutely everywhere. I now wear a very good wig which has given me my self-confidence back.
Hair everywhere else ok. Did have thin outer eyebrows which is symptom of underactive thyroid, but to be honest these have been like this all my life so i would be surprised if they grew now.
Got to admit the hair loss started to get bad when i started on Metformin and Levothyroxin so can't say which was to blame if any. I have searched the web and seen people taking both of these drugs complaining of hair loss, so didn't find any real clues as to which one if any was causing this.
@Diabooties The good thing is you have some fluff (i don't) which is a promising sign your follicles are still active and you scalp won't shine through like mine does.
Like others have said it may be worth getting your Thyroid levels checked as Thyroid problems go hand in hand with Diabetes quite often.

Last edited:
Don’t worry too much, @Diabooties, this kind of hair loss can occur whenever you body is affected by a significant condition. You have mentioned pregnancy, which is the one everybody knows, so it may be the onset of diabetes has done that. You may also notice that one or more of your fingernails develop a line across them. That particular sign affected me with the onset of ulcerative colitis, and also my neurological problem. Hair loss was minimal, but did occur to a degree. It’s much less likely that it’s due to a thyroid problem, but it is worth getting it checked.

Doesn’t happen to everyone, but I bet it gets better anyway.

Hi
I lost a lot of hair in spring/early summer and put it down to having severe covid last December, as a common post covid issue. I was told having a high temperature and fever can cause hair to shred. Also stressful situations. Still a bit thin/bald on top!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back