Hair loss from Victoza or Metformin (not Diabetes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicbic1114

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there,

I wanted to ask if anyone had experienced hair loss from either Victoza or Metformin and if so what you did about it? Did you stop taking your medication? Did the hair grow back?

I know many will say that hair loss is a sign of uncontrolled diabetes - however I had uncontrolled diabetes for years with no hair loss and my hair loss started as soon as the drugs had built up enough to start lowering my blood glucose (so 1-2 months in). It exactly and only correlates with the use of these drugs. It makes no sense that my hair was fine for years with uncontrolled diabetes only for it to start shedding when it is better controlled due to drugs if it is because of diabetes.

Currently I am thinking of stopping these drugs altogether but I am hoping those who have experienced this might be able to tell me that the hair loss was minimal and settles down - in which case I would continue to see how it goes. I'm not going to do this if there is a risk of dramatic hair loss as as a 34 year old woman, I am not prepared to spend the rest of my life bald!

Thanks in advance

Ive not heard of hair loss being cause by either drug and there must be thousands on metformin alone. Is it mentioned as a side effect on the patient leaflet? Either way see your GP and don't stop taking prescribed meds without professional advise (which do-one here can give). Most likely something else going on.

Ive not heard of hair loss being cause by either drug and there must be thousands on metformin alone. Is it mentioned as a side effect on the patient leaflet? Either way see your GP and don't stop taking prescribed meds without professional advise (which do-one here can give). Most likely something else going on.

Thanks for the reply. It's not listed as a symptom, no, but there is quite a high incidence of people reporting this online and a 2017 report linked to hair loss in rare cases. The obvious answer is to go to my GP but as it isn't a listed side effect, I would expect them to say oh no, it can't be that (or other typically vague response) while also not telling me what it is then. So currently the only thing I can think to do is to stop taking it and see if my hair grows back. I would like to continue taking the medication but only if it is unlikely that the hair loss will get worse. I don't think I can continue taking and just wait and see what happens because it could progress too much and there is no guarantee it will grow back.

I am hoping there are some people on this forum who have experienced this and can advise what they did.

So, it's better to kill yourself with uncontrolled diabetes, than lose your hair??????

Have you had your thyroid function tested recently? Because hair loss is a very obvious symptom of hypothyroidism - and quite probably a symptom of all sorts of other things too. However I don't know what else because I'm not medically trained. That's all.

I think I’d rather lose my hair than my feet tbh. And it’s far more likely to be caused by the years of uncontrolled diabetes than the Metformin - if you go looking for stuff you’ll inevitably find it, confirmation bias.

So, it's better to kill yourself with uncontrolled diabetes, than lose your hair??????

Have you had your thyroid function tested recently? Because hair loss is a very obvious symptom of hypothyroidism - and quite probably a symptom of all sorts of other things too. However I don't know what else because I'm not medically trained. That's all.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be distressed about something that could be devastating to your self esteem. As someone who has severe depression, I cannot withstand another assault to my self-confidence so yes, I would probably choose to die younger than live longer with every increasing distress. That isn’t necessarily what I am saying in this case however as metformin isn’t necessarily the only way to control diabetes. My diabetes has become well managed quickly (from morning highs of 21 to average of 5.5-6 in about 6 weeks) and this seems to largely be due to diet changes rather than the effects of medication (though this has helped some)

I’ve asked about thyroid test before but doctor has never said ok to me being tested for it.

I think I’d rather lose my hair than my feet tbh. And it’s far more likely to be caused by the years of uncontrolled diabetes than the Metformin - if you go looking for stuff you’ll inevitably find it, confirmation bias.

That’s what people seem to be told but quite a lot seem to be asking this question and some studies have suggested it, not least because metformin can cause b12 deficiency which can cause hair loss.

Having exact correlation when I started medication (when if it was diabetes the hair loss could have started at any point in the last 10 years) is far too much of a coincidence to ignore.

It’s great if you have enough self-confidence to not be devastated by issues like this but not everybody does. I am well away of the consequences of diabetes such as amputation but that’s not what I asked about. I’m asking others who may have experienced hair loss possibly in relation to medication what they did about it. I’m hoping there is an option that will allow me to take medication while protecting against hair loss, perhaps as simple as a b12 supplement

I do understand where you’re coming from. My diabetes is steroid induced, steroids have absolutely wrecked my body, but I had no choice whether to take them or not. Self esteem can be a very fragile thing, and it doesn’t take much to knock it if you’re down.

Personally, I’d start with taking a B12 supplement, and maybe looking at your diet with some of the more experienced members here. If you can control your diabetes without medication that would be the best solution for you.

Your other thread suggests you have only been on metformin for a few months. I think depletion of B12 only occurs after years of taking it.
I have never heard of hair loss being a side effect of either medication - but that does not mean it isn't!
Perhaps your GP will be keener to test your thyroid function if you point out your recent hair loss. You really do need to discuss with them whether a change of medication - or trying diet only - would be worth trying.

I think what has happened here is that the natural cycle of hair loss was disrupted by the high pre treatment glucose. This can also happen in pregnancy, with the hormonal changes. So afterwards, there is a much more noticeable hair loss as the the cycle resets itself to normal. It’s not permanent.

It’s still worth getting Thyroid function tested, mind, but that is less likely as a cause.

I'm sorry it's not the same, but I'm type 1 and started losing my hair after starting normal Novorapid insulin which was apparently unheard of and very unusual for a 17 year old. We were lucky enough to have a very knowledgeable family friend, she started me on a specific hair regrowth shampoo/conditioner after I lost about half my hair. She did warn me that whatever was going to fall out would fall out but it would regrow faster, 2 years on I'm basically back to the lion mane I had before 😛At the moment I'm using Nioxin, I think it's really good, definitely made a difference and would recommend if you are sure it's not down to any other medical thing.

I think what has happened here is that the natural cycle of hair loss was disrupted by the high pre treatment glucose. This can also happen in pregnancy, with the hormonal changes. So afterwards, there is a much more noticeable hair loss as the the cycle resets itself to normal. It’s not permanent.

It’s still worth getting Thyroid function tested, mind, but that is less likely as a cause.

Thank you. Glad to hear it hopefully isn’t permanent.

I'm sorry it's not the same, but I'm type 1 and started losing my hair after starting normal Novorapid insulin which was apparently unheard of and very unusual for a 17 year old. We were lucky enough to have a very knowledgeable family friend, she started me on a specific hair regrowth shampoo/conditioner after I lost about half my hair. She did warn me that whatever was going to fall out would fall out but it would regrow faster, 2 years on I'm basically back to the lion mane I had before 😛At the moment I'm using Nioxin, I think it's really good, definitely made a difference and would recommend if you are sure it's not down to any other medical thing.

Sorry to hear that happened to you but I’m glad it all grew back for you. Thanks so much, I will look into that.

I have been on metformin for just 4 days and today noticed I am losing hair noticeable. I also noticed today that my hair has more static.

I didn't have this before starting the metformin.

I read also its a B12 deficiency. so I guess I am going to have to ask my doc to be tested.

I wouldn't stop the med, the other health risks are far more serious. But I would speak with the doc about it.

Your other thread suggests you have only been on metformin for a few months. I think depletion of B12 only occurs after years of taking it.
I have never heard of hair loss being a side effect of either medication - but that does not mean it isn't!
Perhaps your GP will be keener to test your thyroid function if you point out your recent hair loss. You really do need to discuss with them whether a change of medication - or trying diet only - would be worth trying.

Could the B12 deficient also be related to high blood glucose?

I have been on metformin for just 4 days and today noticed I am losing hair noticeable. I also noticed today that my hair has more static.

I didn't have this before starting the metformin.

I read also its a B12 deficiency. so I guess I am going to have to ask my doc to be tested.

I wouldn't stop the med, the other health risks are far more serious. But I would speak with the doc about it.

Hiya.

I’m still pretty sure in my case that the cause was Victoza - however it has settled down now and I don’t appear to be losing it anymore. I think it was just a temporary thing like many side effects you can get on new medications that are a bit of a shock to your system.

Hiya.

I’m still pretty sure in my case that the cause was Victoza - however it has settled down now and I don’t appear to be losing it anymore. I think it was just a temporary thing like many side effects you can get on new medications that are a bit of a shock to your system.
Glad it has settled down for you now. I hope mine does too.

My hair fell out as soon as I started the Metformin and statin - I had a mane of hair before and just brushing it made it fall out by the roots - it did not regrow, I have a shiny scalp very visible, but that was the least of my problems - I cut the remnants fairly short and made myself some hats.

Hi there,

I wanted to ask if anyone had experienced hair loss from either Victoza or Metformin and if so what you did about it? Did you stop taking your medication? Did the hair grow back?

I know many will say that hair loss is a sign of uncontrolled diabetes - however I had uncontrolled diabetes for years with no hair loss and my hair loss started as soon as the drugs had built up enough to start lowering my blood glucose (so 1-2 months in). It exactly and only correlates with the use of these drugs. It makes no sense that my hair was fine for years with uncontrolled diabetes only for it to start shedding when it is better controlled due to drugs if it is because of diabetes.

Currently I am thinking of stopping these drugs altogether but I am hoping those who have experienced this might be able to tell me that the hair loss was minimal and settles down - in which case I would continue to see how it goes. I'm not going to do this if there is a risk of dramatic hair loss as as a 34 year old woman, I am not prepared to spend the rest of my life bald!

Thanks in advance
Hi have you been checked for pcos or had recent GI surgery?

The original poster is unlike to reply to you thy have not visited the site since 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back