Hair dye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerryjohn11

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have used hair dye to colour my hair for years but recently ( the last yr) the colour does not seem to remain on my hair for more than a week ???? And it's not just extra grey coming through its the whole head colour ??? I'm 47 poss and age thing ???

What dye are you using? Perhaps they’ve altered the formula? And have you used any products on your hair that could leave a deposit that repels the dye, or changed your shampoo?

I have used hair dye to colour my hair for years but recently ( the last yr) the colour does not seem to remain on my hair for more than a week ???? And it's not just extra grey coming through its the whole head colour ??? I'm 47 poss and age thing ???
is this a semi permanent dye?

One of our members @Stitch147 has been know to dabble with hair colour. Not sure if she has noticed any differences in permanence over the years?

What dye are you using? Perhaps they’ve altered the formula? And have you used any products on your hair that could leave a deposit that repels the dye, or changed your shampoo?
Hi there I go to the hairdresser's so not sure what brand it is and she doesn't seem to know why the colour fades so fast .... I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue ?

The condition of your hair can make a difference as to how the hair colours and retains colour. Being unwell can change your hair condition and some hairdressers will not colour hair if it is in poor condition.
Washing in warm not hot water can help and using a shampoo specifically for coloured hair.

Hi there I go to the hairdresser's so not sure what brand it is and she doesn't seem to know why the colour fades so fast .... I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue ?

I’d ask if it was permanent or semi-permanent. I’d also ask the hairdresser to assess the condition of your hair. How much grey do you have, and are you having the colour over your whole head? Perhaps a change of dye regime might help eg having sections dyed to give a natural effect and disguise any fading more?

Some shampoos strip hair dye more than others. It’s worth spending money for a good quality colour-preserving shampoo and conditioner. If you’re washing your hair every day, you might also find reducing the frequency preserves the colour longer.

I’d ask if it was permanent or semi-permanent. I’d also ask the hairdresser to assess the condition of your hair. How much grey do you have, and are you having the colour over your whole head? Perhaps a change of dye regime might help eg having sections dyed to give a natural effect and disguise any fading more?

Some shampoos strip hair dye more than others. It’s worth spending money for a good quality colour-preserving shampoo and conditioner. If you’re washing your hair every day, you might also find reducing the frequency preserves the colour longer.
I worked in a hairdresser as a teenager and somebody came in having bleached her long hair with household bleach, it was just like straw, nothing could be done but cut most of it off and treat with conditioner. The stupid things people do.

Could you possibly have been washing your hair more frequently during the hot summer weather. Perhaps the sun has had a bleaching effect too causing the colour to fade more quickly.

Never worked in a hairdresser's I think I've missed out on all the fun
It was quite fun, you met so many different characters. Somebody came in for a perm and had a head full of livestock, but we went ahead and did it as the perm solution would kill them. The owner had a parrot in the shop but had to get rid of it as it kept swearing at the customers, so he replaced it with some stuffed lizards. It was all fun

The condition of your hair can make a difference as to how the hair colours and retains colour. Being unwell can change your hair condition and some hairdressers will not colour hair if it is in poor condition.
Washing in warm not hot water can help and using a shampoo specifically for coloured hair.
thats very true, my hair is more porous so absorbs the colour, although my hair has changed as I have got older. The hair dresser said my hair was easy to curl as it took so well (in reality she meant she had made my curls too tight) but she is right, my hair will do as its told as its naturally wavy, so can be straightened, died or curled and it reacts well. My daughter has lovely thick glossy hair but her curls dont take so well and fall out quickly as she has much thicker (better conditioned hair than I do)

It all depends on the quality of the colour you use to dye. My wife's hairdresser always uses a professional dye, without which it would be completely grey. It lasts for 6-7 weeks while my wife always washes her hair in shower each morning. Ans she is 20+ years older than the OP. So it is merely a matter of the dye, nothing to do with age - or for that matter, diabetes. A decent dye may well be more expensive than the one used. Look for the "permanent" word on the packaging an go for for a reliable brand. L'Oreal and Garnier are good, and similarly priced at around £7 a pop. Follow the instructions carefully, and make sure you don't get any on your skin, it's a swine of a job clearing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back