Haemochromatosis diagnosis.

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, not sure I'm posting in the right section. Recent diagnosis of type 2 with a blood sugar level of 49. Just been diagnosed with Haemochromatosis. Anyone else have this diagnosis that I can chat to? Thanks

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Looks as good as anywhere to me. Hope there is somebody out there who can help.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Looks ok here to me too.
You sure are having a bad time if it this year .

In my old employment of working on blood collection teams for what was then called the National Blood Transfusion service. We used to have one or two people coming to give blood who had Haemochromatosis .This would normally have been done in the hospital back then but I believe they came to us so their blood could be used for research.
I know very little about this condition and what I do know is probably well out of date now as I haven’t worked for them since February 2008 .

I hope you get some answers and reassurance soon.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm going to have to google again!

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all. I've looked through all the threads. Just wanted to check in with someone who has it. Not happy with the assumption I've to go on meds immediately when I'm trying to tackle it (Hb1ac of 49) head on with weight loss and exercise. Don't know enough about the Haemochromatosis to know if that's a bad idea. Prefer not to use medicine unless necessary.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks all. I've looked through all the threads. Just wanted to check in with someone who has it. Not happy with the assumption I've to go on meds immediately when I'm trying to tackle it (Hb1ac of 49) head on with weight loss and exercise. Don't know enough about the Haemochromatosis to know if that's a bad idea. Prefer not to use medicine unless necessary.
Have you questioned your Doctor/Nurse why they don't want you to try Diet first?

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm probably jumping the gun. Letter came through the post today with diagnosis from hospital (including instructing gp to put me on meds). I wanted to find out as much as possible before talking to gp.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm probably jumping the gun. Letter came through the post today with diagnosis from hospital (including instructing gp to put me on meds). I wanted to find out as much as possible before talking to gp.
Seems to me they're being a bit hasty putting you straight on diabetes medication when you've only just got a toe into diabetes territory. I would have expected at least a pause while they give you a chance to bring your HbA1c down through lifestyle changes first.

Martin

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I would still discuss with your GP! Your HBA1C is not that high.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks. That's my intention. They need to give me a chance. I've radically altered my diet and am out walking every day so I want to see the results from 3 month's of that before I agree to medication.
Good luck!

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I would still discuss with your GP! Your HBA1C is not that high.
I agree.
An Hb1ac of 48 get you the dx of Diabetes so at 49 you are just a smidgen across the threshold, I and many others in here were very much higher. It is worth discussing a three month trial to see if you can bring it down yourself without diabetes meds

As for your other condition , check with your consultant/ Gp to see if their is good charity etc similar to our diabetes one

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Spoke to my GP today. She tested my BS levels (non fasting) on Tuesday & they were 5.5 (I'm thinking that's good?). She's very impressed with recent results due to diet & exercise and will not be starting me on medication per the hospital letter. So pleased. Keeping at the diet & exercise. Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Spoke to my GP today. She tested my BS levels (non fasting) on Tuesday & they were 5.5 (I'm thinking that's good?). She's very impressed with recent results due to diet & exercise and will not be starting me on medication per the hospital letter. So pleased. Keeping at the diet & exercise. Thanks for all your advice everyone.
5.5 is great was that an Hb1ac or an on the spot finger prick .
It’s good news about the no meds’ too.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
5.5 fasting is fine. I'd be happy with that (the fasting range for T2s is between 4 and 7 so you're exactly halfway).

And well done your GP for putting aside the recommendation from your trigger-happy hospital.

Martin

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It was an on the spot finger prick. Keen not to redo the HbA1c until 3 months from the last test (end August).

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Agree with others but I noted from the NHS website that heamochromatosis can (not will) affect the performance of the pancreas so its a good idea to keep up regular HbA1c tests to keep an eye on things.

Christy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Docb, useful to know. Covid permitting, hoping to learn more about Haemochromatosis at nurse venesection clinic & consultant appointment. They have referred me to the British Liver Trust for info as I also have Alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency (PiMS phenotype) which I know nothing about. Both hereditary, need siblings & kids tested. Every day's a school day....