Had Pump 3 days, massive ups and downs so far - tell me how it was for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babysaurus

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I got my pump on Wednesday due to being pregnant (its apparently brilliant at getting tigher control and I was having nasty hypo's before due to keeping levels under 6.) It went wonderfully for the first 24 hours, I was SO impressed, but now seems to be up and down. I am speaking to my DSN every 2 hours (yes, even at weekends and due to call her in 10 mins - she has been fab) but wanted to ask other pumpers, how long did it take you to get your basal and bolus rates spot on and just generally get used to it?
I am also loving the convenience (well, I will be once it settles down) but HATING the tube - makes me feel very 'medicalised'! How do other pumpers get around this...?
Thanks!

The change after the first day was due to the final bit of your old background burning off..

Pining down the basal is different for each person, some struggle and take longer than others.. I managed to I managed to get a workable basal in the first week, then it was several more of tweaking it..

As you'll pregnant it's going to be different, as well fasting may not easy or the thing to be doing so you have to take your advice in the main from you dsn... But I suspect in your case it's going to be using the pump ability to change the background dose to roll with what's happening, rather than attempting to pin down a basal..

As to getting used to the pump tubing doesn't take long before you forget about the tubing etc... People don't pay any attention to a piece of tubing tangling down, or even a pump clip to your waistband fully exposed, which for me is it's normal position... And I've been pumping for 4 years now,,

Hiya

It could take a while before you figure out the best basals for you, so stick with it, even if you feel like throwing it out the window! It's about taking time to look for patterns and trends so you can use your basal to stop you hitting those big highs or lows.

As Ellie says you will very quickly forget about the tubing! You can tuck it into whatever clothing you are wearing or just let it fly loose.

Thanks Ellie,
I am normally really clued up with things all diabetic so this is taking some getting my head around! Its horrid as I currently feel like I have an 'illness' and am 'a patient' whereas normally it never enters my head.

The DSN said the rise was due to the Lantus finally wearing off too, although I did wonder myself. I think due to the combination of hormones and insulin resistance it will be quite a tweaky process to get things spot on, but I am (thankfully) able to see already how it will make things a lot easier in the long run.

I hope I do get used to the tubing as soon as you say as currently I really don't like it! I am feeling okay wearing the pump otherwise though.

Makes my previous Humalog / Lantus pens seem SO old fashioned and clumsy now!

It can take a while. That said I had it nice and easy when I started pumping nearly two years ago now. Frankly I love this thing. I wouldn't be without it. It makes my job somewhat easier to do.
Tubing isn't a problem, even with my girth, uniforms and such. Where there's a will there's a way basically.
I find that there's an ongoing fight between my basal needs and I. Something I'm usually on top of but still, I'm managing nicely.
I don't really feel medicalised so to speak. Yes it is a medical device but it's one that allows me to do a lot more and be more flexible thus living more of a "normal" life than I was once able to. I feel less medicalised than when I was harpooning myself every so often.

Tom

I actually know exactly what you mean Babysaurus - although surely you should now be Mummysaurus? - so stuff the tubing down yer trousers, skirt of wherever it's convenient to stuff it!

Out of sight, out of mind. Although, do you have a remote? cos I rarely have to touch my actual pump so I spose the only time I really notice the tubing is when I'm on the loo or otherwise in a state of undress!

Trophy I am waaaay off being Mummysaurus, that isnt due to happen until June! (Feel like I have been living life like a science project for far too long already!)
Yes, I rarely need to touch my pump as it is all done via remote. I have to say, I love the fact I don't have to try and inject when out and about with nobody noticing anymore. I only really notice the tubing when in a state of undress too (which isn't all the time, honest!) but am still not keen. I am going to get a shorter tubing with the next delivery I think - the one I have is apparently 50cm which seems ridiculous!
The pump in general though has come into its own the last few days. I was diagnosed with a migrane (never had one before, never want to again) on Saturday morning and have been in bed since. Still hurts now, but has felt like an injury rather than a headache (I previously assumed they were just horrific headaches) and boredom has driven me to the laptop. I think the stress of changing over and the neccessity of getting it right brought it on. Anyway, due to the pump (and lots of fiddling with it) I have managed to remain an almost constant 4 - 5mmol throughout - impossible with injecting!

Depends where you wear your pump, Roche tubing is 30cm, 60cm or 80 cm.

The 80cm is like a skipping rope where I'm concerned! The 30cm aren't long enough to pull trousers down for the loo and leave pump in situ when it's clipped to the waistband. The 60cm are just right for me. However in the summer on the beach, when I was mainly wearing it on a lanyard, the 30cm would have been ace. But may have been too short in bed, as I let it roam in bed.

I KNOW you WILL love it when sorted !!! It took me a couple of weeks to sort & evan after a few years am still learning ! Keep at it & good luck 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back