• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Had Covid and a jab and NOW being told to shield?

merrymunky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I got my letter today...

i was half expecting it as my father in law also got one last week and he is type 2. I also have obesity on my side so it was only a matter of time I guess.

It seems a bit late in the day when I’ve already had a bout of Covid and have had my first dose of the vaccine. Just had to break the news to work. Since returning to work from maternity leave I’ve done a grand total of 5 days in the building (since jan 13th). I don’t think my head is going to like it but I’ve offered to work from home where I can. Seeing as all the majority of pupils are back on school there is no remote learning to be done. Not sure what I can do as a teacher from home now but maybe there will be admin, phone calls and resourcing I can help with.

More time at home with my little lady though so hardly complaining.

Anyone else had a similar experience and being asked to Sheila AFTER having had Covid and jabs already?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I got my letter today...

i was half expecting it as my father in law also got one last week and he is type 2. I also have obesity on my side so it was only a matter of time I guess.

It seems a bit late in the day when I’ve already had a bout of Covid and have had my first dose of the vaccine. Just had to break the news to work. Since returning to work from maternity leave I’ve done a grand total of 5 days in the building (since jan 13th). I don’t think my head is going to like it but I’ve offered to work from home where I can. Seeing as all the majority of pupils are back on school there is no remote learning to be done. Not sure what I can do as a teacher from home now but maybe there will be admin, phone calls and resourcing I can help with.

More time at home with my little lady though so hardly complaining.

Anyone else had a similar experience and being asked to Sheila AFTER having had Covid and jabs already?
There is a whole thread , sorry can't remember the title.

Just.Brew.It

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I posted earlier about receiving my letter today but I haven't been vaccinated yet, it is booked for next week

I'm just going to be carrying on as I have been because I am working from home anyway and not going out much

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It seems a bit late in the day when I’ve already had a bout of Covid and have had my first dose of the vaccine. Just had to break the news to work.
It's not compulsory to shield, the choice is yours :)

merrymunky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It's not compulsory to shield, the choice is yours :)
I’ve notified work and they’ve said they’ve had a few more people contact them who have been added to the list and I should be supported to work from home. I could go in but I’m scared I could contract a strain I haven’t had and it could be so much worse next time. Just waiting to hear back from the head on what I should do. I think I would rather shield at the moment to be honest. I know I’ve already had it once but you know lightning can strike in the same place twice and I might not be so lucky a second time.

Hardy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It won't always be the individuals choice. Some organisations eg Health Trust where I work, say you need to work from home if you have received a shielding letter.

merrymunky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
It won't always be the individuals choice. Some organisations eg Health Trust where I work, say you need to work from home if you have received a shielding letter.
The letter states it is not law, just strong advice so I can shoes what to do. I few a bit like I am making a scene if I choose to stay home when I’ve already had Covid so the likelihood of getting it again before March 31st is minimal. But my heart says stay at home snd keep my daughter safe too. I was only back at work for three days after maternity before catching it so I’m obviously susceptible

Jan1967

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Im still working, off in october when i got covid for a few weeks, have to work keyworker, nhs , but i was quite bad with covid recently diagnosed long covid, not sleeping, headaches and loosing my hair since covid blood sugars have been high before had good control and blood pressure up too i went for the vaccine but they would not give it too me as i have a hostory of severe allergies one being reaction to flu jab where face swelled up and eyelids to the point i could not see for a few days and also similar reaction to medications, plus also other unknown reactions, they also said given that i have had covid and my history of allergies they dont know if i would react worse, so im afraid with that advice not chancing it and im sick of people giving me a hard time over the vaccine i have been and thats what i have been told i am still working shifts but i am worried about getting it again i dont get the sheilding letter but im so scared sometimes and even more so as now knowing i cannot have the vaccine (Yet anyway) i feel more vulnerable i have two of the comorbilities high blood, pressure and diabeties but because i have lost weight which is good i dont have the third one the hi bmi, so just got to put up with it and hope, there is always hope x

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The letter states it is not law, just strong advice so I can shoes what to do. I few a bit like I am making a scene if I choose to stay home when I’ve already had Covid so the likelihood of getting it again before March 31st is minimal. But my heart says stay at home snd keep my daughter safe too. I was only back at work for three days after maternity before catching it so I’m obviously susceptible
Don't beat yourself up, you have to do what you feel is right for you and your family.