Gut health

indio02

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Was diagnosed with T2 early last year so have been on 2000mg of metformin daily ever since (18ish months). Depending on the start point I've lost between 80 & 130lbs. Am in the healthly BMI range (24.2) but feel as if I could lose a bit more. On the whole I feel hugely healthy BUT To put it bluntly I've had diarrhea ever since I started metformin. From a health point of view I can't but feel that that isn't healthy.
Anyone have any advice/thoughts?
Thanks

@indio02 have you had another blood test since you were diagnosed 18 months ago.

Well done on the weight lose and a MBI reading of 24.2, that's great

@indio02 have you had another blood test since you were diagnosed 18 months ago.
Yes, I had one after 6 months which from memory went from diagnosis of 83 to 52. My last one was 48 at the beginning of the year but was I on various pain and anti-inflammatory medication at the time. Am due for my next one shortly as I've just had a text to book it.

Yes, I had one after 6 months which from memory went from diagnosis of 83 to 52. My last one was 48 at the beginning of the year but was I on various pain and anti-inflammatory medication at the time. Am due for my next one shortly as I've just had a text to book it.
It's all going in the right direction which is what we want, well done you, great effort

Many, many congratulations on your huge weight loss and HbA1c reduction. That is really impressive and you should be incredibly proud of yourself!

You are right however that having diarrhoea for that long is not healthy and I am surprised you have put up with it for so long. Have you discussed it with your doctor? Which Metformin are you taking and is it the full 2g dose ie 4x500mg tablets a day?

On the whole I feel hugely healthy BUT To put it bluntly I've had diarrhea ever since I started metformin
Why on earth have you put up with that for 18 months? There’s hundreds of different med options for T2. Go back to the drs and ask for something else.

Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles @indio02

Upset stomach is a fairly common side effect of Metformin, though for most people it only lasts a short time, and certainly not 18 months!

Do have a chat with your Dr, and explain what a negative effect this is having on your quality of life. They may recommend an alternative medication, or see if reducing or stopping your metformin may help clear things up now that your HbA1c is so much improved.

Hope you can get it sorted soon.

At the very least - there is a slow release form of Metformin which might be tolerated by your innards better than the standard 'uncoated' sort. No absolute guarantee it would be but it's only a few pence more expensive than the standard so worth trying first to see if it does improve things.

I think it is likely, now that your levels have come down, a reduction in your current dose might be enough to alleviate your digestive upset, but you really should discuss this with your GP or the nurse who supports the diabetic patients at your practice, if you have one. It might also be wise to ask to have your B12 levels checked if you haven't had it done recently because if you have been loose for 18months you might not have been able to absorb enough vitamin B12.

Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry for the slow response am having a somewhat stressful time at the moment.
Anyway, I was on normal Metformin for about 2 weeks but it was terrible and couldn't be more than 5 meters away from a toilet. Dr. prescribed slow release and everything went back to normal in terms of times, amounts and no urgency other than every time I go it it like I'm peeing both sides (sorry too much info!)
Wiĺ be booking a dr. appointment after my hba1c test so will be talk to them then about it.
Thanks again!

Glad your tum has settled down a little @indio02 🙂

Thanks everyone for your replies and sorry for the slow response am having a somewhat stressful time at the moment.
Anyway, I was on normal Metformin for about 2 weeks but it was terrible and couldn't be more than 5 meters away from a toilet. Dr. prescribed slow release and everything went back to normal in terms of times, amounts and no urgency other than every time I go it it like I'm peeing both sides (sorry too much info!)
Wiĺ be booking a dr. appointment after my hba1c test so will be talk to them then about it.
Thanks again!
You could try some probiotics to try to rebalance your gut health, live yogurts have a cocktail of 'good' gut bacteria but you can also get capsules from places like H & B.
A few people have mentioned they use Imodium to help, worth checking with the pharmacy.

Back