Guildford, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moddey

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
My dear husband has suggested Guildford as a possible future home. Apparently University of Surrey would have the perfect PhD programme for him. While I'm perfectly happy with the location, I have no idea what the care is like there. So anyone, Guildford or the Surrey area and paediatric teams? Excellent or useless?

My dear husband has suggested Guildford as a possible future home. Apparently University of Surrey would have the perfect PhD programme for him. While I'm perfectly happy with the location, I have no idea what the care is like there. So anyone, Guildford or the Surrey area and paediatric teams? Excellent or useless?

hope you get things sorted, theres actually a meet today going on in guilford hence the place being quiet lol.x

hope you get things sorted, theres actually a meet today going on in guilford hence the place being quiet lol.x
guildford is good. Not too expensive lots of things close and as i write this i am sitting in a pub in guildford with loads of members of the forum. The care is good. Google the cedar centre guildford for more info x

Last edited:
Again, a place I've gone shopping! I really liked it, but didn't spend a lot of time exploring other than the shops.:D

I used to live in the Surrey area and I hated it, I lived in Farnham. I found Farnham hospital really bad and did not go for years til I moved to London. The paediatric team was OK, but the transition to adult care was, well, nonexistent, they just told me they could not see me at the paediatric clinic, and I had to arrange something else. Like I said, I arranged to go to Farnham hospital, and was so unhappy with it I stopped going. Nobody seemed to mind. I did not like the area in general, people seemed very cliquey and snobby and my family was looked down on because my mum worked rather than staying at home miserable like all the other mums, and because we only had 1 car not 2. But maybe that was just Farnham, maybe Guildford is better, it is just one person's experience and it was more than a decade ago.

Can't say what the medical care is like, but Guildford is nice. Hubbys brother and soon to be wife live there and both work for Guildford University and think it's a great place to be.

beatuiful countryside around but expensive xx

Thanks everyone, especially Louise for the link 🙂

Ok, so you were all in Guildford, hence me not getting any replies. I'll bump this back to the top 🙂 Is there anyone else living in the area who can tell me more about the paediatric care?

Hope the meeting was good and you got a lot more Didka supporters 🙂

The nearest teams I can think of are Eastbourne and Brighton. Having been a victim of the paediatric team in Eastbourne and heard the rumours about Brighton I'd say avoid both like the plague. See if you can get some on the local team or you could if you were willing use a London hospital. Adrienne uses a London one.

Farnham's a really small hospital, my Grandparents and my great-grandfather used to be patients. Unfortunately my Granddad is type 2 so was probably treated by his GP, all in all they don't think much of Farnham's hospital.
I used to work at Frimley Park, and although my Granddad hated it, my Mum's experience in there recently was quite good (i'm not sure i'd recommend working there, not in the Pharmacy anyway.) I don't know much about diabetes care since i left before i got diabetes myself. My mum was in the Royal Surrey (got transfered from Frimley..not sure why) and she found it a bit impersonal after Frimley, but she wasn't in for diabetes. That's probably no help at all...
Farnham and Guildford (and the villages in between) are all quite nice but pricey, Guildford's deffinately the best place for shopping (don't get my Grandma started on Farnham's deteriation as a shopping town...). My parents (and the grandparents) live over on the Hampshire side of the border, in Farnborough and Fleet, these are popular commuter towns and house prices reflect this. I can see why Lizzie found Farnham snobbish (not that my Gran's a snob), Farnborough and Fleet are less so, but in my oppinion, are less pleasent places to live. Try Ash, that's at the end of the Hog's Back (major trunk road) from Guildford.
There are also large(ish) hospitals in Kingston and Redhill (i think...) and Reading.

Rachel

Guildford's got a big hospital - look at the thread for "my new clinic" its the guildford diabetic centre. x

Thanks everyone, especially Louise for the link 🙂

Ok, so you were all in Guildford, hence me not getting any replies. I'll bump this back to the top 🙂 Is there anyone else living in the area who can tell me more about the paediatric care?

Hope the meeting was good and you got a lot more Didka supporters 🙂

No worries. The paediatric care is fairly good. Own ward with secruity in the actual hospital. Each GP surgery is different. Im 30 mins outside Guildford in Hindhead (great road links to guildford/coast with the A3 & also in the country too) & my GP care as a child was fantastic. . Also look at Haslemere too. Prices slightly cheaper & it does have good road/bus/train links to london guildford the coast and many other places.

Thanks again! The Cedar Centre looks great, hope they treat you well 🙂

Thanks for the other tips, too. Guildford does seem a bit expensive so anywhere nearby would be good, too.

I love this forum, would be so lost without you people 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back