Guidance please. I’m a type2 insulin controlled 75 year old that has suddenly lost a stone and a half in weight .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlybird

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello as you can see from the title I’m looking for advice please. I’ve been 14:5 stones for decades with excellent control around 7:6 average ..
Around end of October my sugar levels went up to 13/15 and have remained at this level. But I have lost 1:5 stones in weight . Loss of appetite and no energy levels..
Constipation ! I do have an irregular heart beat also.
Glucose is present in urine . Would you advise seeking an alternative clinicians advice.

How many years have you been diabetic? I know you have said decades but how many decades?

You say you are insulin controlled, but if you have high enough levels of Blood Glucose that your kidneys are having to try and flush it out, then your current insulin regime is not doing its job. Have you spoken to whoever you see for your diabetes? (GP, Nurse, Consultant?) They should be helping you manage your insulin, and changing your regime if it needs changing. If you are flushing out glucose through your kidneys, then you are not absorbing the energy from it, and this is a possible cause of you suddenly losing weight.
What type of insulin do you take? Basal (long acting) with Bolus (short acting) for meals? Or a mixed insulin? Or just basal? Any other medications?
I would certainly advise seeking medical advice.

Hi Robin.
I’m on nova rapid 3x14 units plus 2x24 insuman basal slow acting. The Gp has recently advised me to stop taking Metformin 4x 500mg due to recurrent bowel problems.
I’m on artorvastatin finastride lisinopril aspirin plus amitriptyline. Yes I do rattle over bumpy ground.
For nearly twenty years I’ve had good control and static weight . Now my readings are 50% plus and in eight or so weeks I’ve gone from 95kg to 81 kg.
Bloods done today at GP s appointment for results on the 10/1. Cannot speak to local hospital diabetic clinic been trying since November. For advice . Thankyou for your reply

Was the Metformin helping or was it a combination of side effects and Metformin not doing a lot that lead to your GP taking you of it? If the Metformin was helping then you could ask to try slow release Metformin which doesn’t cause so many side effects

Was the Metformin helping or was it a combination of side effects and Metformin not doing a lot that lead to your GP taking you of it? If the Metformin was helping then you could ask to try slow release Metformin which doesn’t cause so many side effects
Thankyou but already in slow release but I do suffer from diverticulitis . So quite complicated medications and diet regime .

Thankyou but already in slow release but I do suffer from diverticulitis . So quite complicated medications and diet regime .
That makes sense to stop the Metformin

So, you know when you eat, do you test your BG before you start eating and then again about 2 hours after you start and if so, what's the result? and, how long does your BG take to get back down to the pre-meal level?

So, you know when you eat, do you test your BG before you start eating and then again about 2 hours after you start and if so, what's the result? and, how long does your BG take to get back down to the pre-meal level?
As the OP is on basal/bolus, is the 2 hour test relevant? Should they not be looking at returning to the pre-meal level by the next meal?

As the OP is on basal/bolus, is the 2 hour test relevant? Should they not be looking at returning to the pre-meal level by the next meal?
I find the 2hr test useful for checking the timing of my insulin doses. If I’m sure I've matched carbs and insulin correctly, but I'm either too high or too low by the two hour mark, it may mean taking my insulin sooner before a meal, or waiting til I sit down to eat, depending on how quickly the carb is getting in to my body. It’s not something I do all the time,(except now Ive got a Libre I can check whenever) but when I was using precious test strips, it’s something I’d do with a new food, or from time to time if I was having a blitz on overhauling my insulin regime.

As the OP is not carb counting and dose adjusting, I was just wondering what results they were getting day to day, is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back