Guidance for homeless people with diabetes

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
New guidance (aimed at nurses but useful for homeless people too) has been published for nurses and allied health professionals to improve the care of people experiencing homelessness with diabetes across the UK.

Whilst visiting city's up & down country you sometimes forget that some of those who live on street are dealing with health conditions.
I've tried to get an understanding of it all but it's not that simple. Each person's circumstances are so different. I've spoken to cafe owners who have tried to give people a bit of casual work, but many have drug habits which prevent them from being able to concentrate. Others have been offered accommodation but say they can't afford the bills and end up back on the street. The number of people homeless is very noticeable. You never know whether to give money or not.

I've tried to get an understanding of it all but it's not that simple. Each person's circumstances are so different. I've spoken to cafe owners who have tried to give people a bit of casual work, but many have drug habits which prevent them from being able to concentrate. Others have been offered accommodation but say they can't afford the bills and end up back on the street. The number of people homeless is very noticeable. You never know whether to give money or not.

Shame is some are ex-military, possibly there by no fault of their own due to condition such as PTSD.

Regards giving money, it's hard as many do have drug habits which fuels their addiction but you can often tell if they are drug users or genuinely hungry & in need.

I've gone in Greggs before to buy a coffee & sausage roll for someone, it was greatly appreciated so done me own little thing there.

City's like Liverpool Manchester are bad for people living on streets, some are scammers begging on street as part of criminal gangs so you have to be careful.

Shame is some are ex-military, possibly there by no fault of their own due to condition such as PTSD.

Regards giving money, it's hard as many do have drug habits which fuels their addiction but you can often tell if they are drug users or genuinely hungry & in need.

I've gone in Greggs before to buy a coffee & sausage roll for someone, it was greatly appreciated so done me own little thing there.

City's like Liverpool Manchester are bad for people living on streets, some are scammers begging on street as part of criminal gangs so you have to be careful.
Earlier this year, around Feb, I passed a guy in a shop doorway, he was shaking a cup so vigorously it caught my attention. Initially I thought it was for money, but it was actually a coffee cup, shaken through shear cold and freezing temperatures. Honestly didn't think he would of made it through the night. I bought a new blanket and wrapped him up. Hopefully it did the trick.

I buy them things rather than give money. I asked one man what he needed and he said toiletries, so I got him a bag of stuff like toothpaste, brush, deodorant, body spray, etc. Some want food, especially when it’s cold.

When I see ex military men homeless I immediately go over to help them...I remember there were two homeless ex military men sleeping rough outside one of the theatres on Shaftesbury Avenue in London in the early 2000s and I always got them something to eat and said a few prayers for them too.

Back