Guess Who Wasn't Awake This Morning ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheClockworkDodo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wrote down 3 units Tresiba; 8.5 units Novorapid. Picked up Tresiba pen, and only realised mid-injection I'd dialled up 8.5 units. I don't even have the excuse of getting the pens mixed up, I was fully aware I was injecting Tresiba, but some part of my brain was thinking 8.5 then 3 when it should have been thinking 3 then 8.5.

I injected 7 units Novorapid instead of the 8.5 and have set the alarms on my Libre for 4.5 and 12.5 - I don't normally use them because it drives me nuts buzzing every time I scan, but it seemed sensible in the circumstances.

Thankfully, for me Tresiba doesn't last anything like the 42 hours it's supposed to (and I have the Libre graphs to prove it - it's more like 14 hours!) so I have been experimenting with splitting it, so it's mostly during the day today I'm likely to have issues, and I can skip my Tresiba injection tonight.

I've done it before too, more than once - the first time was shortly after I was diagnosed and it was really scary, I had to get R to ring my DSN to find out what I should do! This time I just thought "bother ... "

All fine so far - no hypos and only one alarm, at about the time I'd normally be going low anyway, late afternoon. Maybe I should do this more often! I cut my lunchtime and evening boluses by half a unit and my bgl is currently sitting around 8. Wondering whether I should inject my evening basal after all, but it's probably better to be 11 all night than 3 all night so I suspect it's safer not to risk it.

Spoke too soon, I had a hypo on my way to bed last night (though that's nothing unusual) and quite a low night, ate half a Hobnob more or less in my sleep at 6.30am and the Libre alarm went off at 7.15am (still middle of night for me) so I ate the other half. Just as well I had decided to err on side of caution and not have any more basal last night.

Interesting because when I was injecting my usual full dose of Tresiba in the mornings instead of the evenings (which I tried for about three months) I spent every night with my bgl hovering around 11. And before that, when I was injecting the full dose in the evenings I was having spikey days. So my usual dose just doesn't seem to last anything like the 42 hours, but apparently if I accidentally double it, it does last a bit longer!

Had usual basal this morning but knocked half a unit off my bolus for breakfast ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back