Guess my HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldclarity

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've got my consultant appointment tomorrow, and my DSN stabbed me a couple of weeks ago so I assume they'll tell me my HbA1c tomorrow.

My last "uncontrolled" one was 8 (back in Feb), I was on no treatment when they took this one and getting blood sugars anywhere up to 13.7. I assume this will be my "official diagnosis" HbA1c. I imagine it won't be too far from 8 again, but who knows?

Any takers?

I'm going for 7.2% 🙂 My situation was different. I was 11.8% at diagnosis, then 6.7% six weeks later - but that's cos they gave me lots of lovely insulin to slosh all over my meals! Without meds it's probably going to be harder initially, but you never know - sometimes lifestyle and diet changes can bring really good results. Whatever it is, it is your 'starting point'! Hope it's something you are happy with though!🙂

I'll go for 7.5% but thats just a guess as I'm not sure how long you have been back on insulin.

I hope the appointment goes well with the consultant and you get some clear answers about your type.

Oops! Sorry, I'd forgotten about your mixed-up scenario! I'll stick with 7.2%!🙂

Is there a prize for guessing it right? I'll say 7.4%.

There is a giant virtual cookie for the winner.

I've bee back on insulin for two weeks, going from when she took the blood for my HbA1c, so it'll have no effect on that.

I'm really not fussed if it's awful, it's a starting point for getting things right, and it's their bloody fault for taking away my insulin 😛

There is a giant virtual cookie for the winner.

I've bee back on insulin for two weeks, going from when she took the blood for my HbA1c, so it'll have no effect on that.

I'm really not fussed if it's awful, it's a starting point for getting things right, and it's their bloody fault for taking away my insulin 😛

Why on earth did they do that?

Because they're very silly people? No, the real reason was because I was diagnosed when I was pregnant I suppose they wanted to make sure it wasn't gestational. They were almost certain it wasn't, so it was a bit daft really. I can sort of see the logic though, my hormones were all over the place and it's the routine thing to do.

(And to save me explaining all the other pregnancy stuff, it's here http://www.diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=3594)

It's bit much for them to be 'experimenting' with your health though.

My real complaint is that it took them so long to get me back on insulin. My numbers weren't too bad the first few weeks while I was still full of hormones, but as soon as they knew I was still diabetic I think they should have moved. I realise I'm a bit of an odd case, but still. I might write a snotty letter, because you're right they were messing with my health.

7.1, so the giant virtual cookie goes to Northerner 🙂 Much better than I expected, so I'm pretty happy. Appointment went fine, I'm allowed to mess with my own doses now, I can still feel my feet and my blood pressure is perfectly reasonable all of which please me. Consultant is a bit batty, but I already knew this and he's great. Only had to wait an hour 🙄

Great news for you. Well done.

I won! Great news Catherine - on all counts! And now that you can take more control, I'm sure it will get even better!🙂

Thats a great result, I'm sure the next one will be even lower with you having the control of insulin.
Did the consultant say what type of diabetes he thinks you have?

He said we're assuming type 2, but he took some blood and talked about doing some other tests. I didn't have my question asking head on for various reasons, but I'm happy with that for now.

I think that most important thing is that whatever the type as long as the treatment is working. You know insulin works for you and you are happy to be taking it so for now that's what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back