Guardian 4 sensors wildly off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wutanga1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
When my kid went on to the 780g + Guardian 4 (previously was on MDI and Dexcom G6), it all seemed great even though the Guardian 4 needs changing every 7 days versus 10 for the Dexcom.

And the lines on the Guardian 4 graph on the pump looked so smooth.

I now don't know if I can trust Guardian 4 any more, however. Over the past month, we have had ONE sensor run to 7 days, and one week where one sensor failed after less than 24 hours. All other sensors during the month seem to have failed at least 2-3 days prior to the sensor change date.

But the worst part is, we have had multiple occasions where the sensor reading is so far off, it's not even delayed - it's just plain wrong. Example: today my kid felt unwell at school. SG was 12. School decided to finger prick to check (well done school!). She was 24 o_Oo_Oo_O

Two hours later, her sensor says she is 9. Finger prick says she is 17.

And this is not the first time - it has been happening multiple times. If we look at the graph on the pump it all looks nice and even - but the blood glucose tells another story. We've tried massaging the sensor site, calibrating (do that too much and the sensor goes), etc. but the core of it is I'm not sure we can rely on Medtronic's claim that the Guardian 4 doesn't need calibration, or chacking - these days we're now checking 2-3 times a day just because we've lost so much trust in the tech. Any ideas/experience with this? Is it my sense that the Dexcom was just more accurate correct?

It may be where the sensor is fixed. Have you tried a different place? Medtronic say abdomen or outside of arm or buttocks. I use my thigh (not tested by Medtronic) after 67 years of sticking insulin and glucose. tests in my abdomen or arms. Too much scar tissue. I've had much more accurate results from the thigh. Type 3 sensors were often dangerously out, but type 4 have been accurate.
Keep experimenting and complaing.Adamrit

Since inserting on thigh my sensors are lasting for 7 days whereas before never more than 5. I'm a relatively new user of the sensors. Also consider hydration as regards accuracy.

I have stuck to back of arm for my sensors, but have had a few recently which lasted 5/6 days rather than 7. interesting reading that the thighs have proved more reliable for some. I do find the failed sensors frustrating as it puts the recharging transmitter, insertion and warm up on an awkward day. I tend now to then put the next one in on Sunday anyway.

I have found that the G4 sensors have been reliable, with readings very close to BG, and one reading required per week. Is it possible @Wutanga1thatsome of the differences are related to not washing hands before BG is done? They do seems unusually extreme differences that you have listed so my suggestion is a bit of a long shot.

The last three sensors I have switched to using Not Just A Patch over the sensor/transmitter. Stays out and seems more secure (so far).

I have stuck to back of arm for my sensors, but have had a few recently which lasted 5/6 days rather than 7. interesting reading that the thighs have proved more reliable for some. I do find the failed sensors frustrating as it puts the recharging transmitter, insertion and warm up on an awkward day. I tend now to then put the next one in on Sunday anyway.

I have found that the G4 sensors have been reliable, with readings very close to BG, and one reading required per week. Is it possible @Wutanga1thatsome of the differences are related to not washing hands before BG is done? They do seems unusually extreme differences that you have listed so my suggestion is a bit of a long shot.

The last three sensors I have switched to using Not Just A Patch over the sensor/transmitter. Stays out and seems more secure (so far).
Thanks for this - re the washing hands, I don't think so as it's something we do almost every time, and especially if the readings are quite far off the SG, we make sure the hands are washed and always do 3 fingerpricks to check whether it might be the glucometer reading that might be incorrect.

Hydration - didn't consider this before so thank you, we are now making sure there's enough water on board, hopefully this will help the issue.

Thanks also for the Not Just a Patch suggestion - do you use that in addition to the Medtronic adhesive bits and bots, or just use the NJAP on the CGM?

I stick the NJAP directly onto the sensor/transmitter.
If it curled up I think I would then put another adhesive over it, but not needed so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back