Grrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I just need to vent! But you're quite welcome to tell me so, if i've been out of line.

I have started as a Kitchen Assistant in my daughter's school. I serve the kids their lunch.
Today I was told there was a newly diagnosed diabetic. So I mentioned to my colleague that he shouldn't have milk or orange juice for his drink then. When she told the Lunchtime Supervisors what I've said, they jumped down her throat and then also down mine. There is a diabetic supervisor who told me that was a load of rubbish, she has milk and juice all the time. I really had to bite back a horrible comment about her also having needed a kidney transplant.

Thanks for listening.

I just need to vent! But you're quite welcome to tell me so, if i've been out of line.

I have started as a Kitchen Assistant in my daughter's school. I serve the kids their lunch.
Today I was told there was a newly diagnosed diabetic. So I mentioned to my colleague that he shouldn't have milk or orange juice for his drink then. When she told the Lunchtime Supervisors what I've said, they jumped down her throat and then also down mine. There is a diabetic supervisor who told me that was a load of rubbish, she has milk and juice all the time. I really had to bite back a horrible comment about her also having needed a kidney transplant.

Thanks for listening.

I quite agree Monica with what you did, as far as im aware drinking juice and milk all the time is not the best thing for a diabetic child or not but im no expert so sure the parents on here will have there views to x

Whilst it's good that you have taken an interest in this newly diagnosed pupil and it will be good for you to be around I wouldn't have said that they couldn't have had the milk or juice.
Without knowing about their treatment and how the parents/team are approaching things it's difficult to know what the child can have.
Maybe suggesting that the parents and DSN speak to the supervisors to let them know what is sutiable for the child to have.

Whilst it's good that you have taken an interest in this newly diagnosed pupil and it will be good for you to be around I wouldn't have said that they couldn't have had the milk or juice.
Without knowing about their treatment and how the parents/team are approaching things it's difficult to know what the child can have.
Maybe suggesting that the parents and DSN speak to the supervisors to let them know what is sutiable for the child to have.

They are having the meeting on Monday afternoon. I know he's on 2 a day treatment, as he's having mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. All the diabetic children start that way here. And not being allowed milk or juice is what I was told when C was first diagnosed.
I'll just keep my mouth shut in future, even if I don't agree.

They are having the meeting on Monday afternoon. I know he's on 2 a day treatment, as he's having mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. All the diabetic children start that way here. And not being allowed milk or juice is what I was told when C was first diagnosed.
I'll just keep my mouth shut in future, even if I don't agree.

I think it would have been better if they had discussed it with you properly, rather than jumping down your throat (and that of your colleague). I know very little about two injection regimes, they've always sounded the 'wrong way round' to me - eating to the insulin rather than injecting according to carb consumption. Sorry you were made to feel bad, hope that the meeting clarifies things 🙂

I think it would have been better if they had discussed it with you properly, rather than jumping down your throat (and that of your colleague). I know very little about two injection regimes, they've always sounded the 'wrong way round' to me - eating to the insulin rather than injecting according to carb consumption. Sorry you were made to feel bad, hope that the meeting clarifies things 🙂

Yes, I hope so too. I'm not actually invited to the meeting. Apparently it's for the First Aiders only.

I think they didn't want to discuss it, as we didn't really have time for that. The kids were waiting for their dinner.

Oh well, over and done with now.

It would have been nice if they had spoken to you as you had he best interests of the child at heart. Do you actually look after or have to deal with the child during the day? It would be nice if as many individuals concerned witht he child could be involved in the meeting.

It would have been nice if they had spoken to you as you had he best interests of the child at heart. Do you actually look after or have to deal with the child during the day? It would be nice if as many individuals concerned witht he child could be involved in the meeting.

No, I'm not at school all day. I have been filling in casually as a Lunchtime Supervisor for quite a few years, and also recently as a Kitchen Assistant. From this week I will be there during dinnertime every Monday, Thursday and Friday.
Maybe they were just too scared in case I was wrong.
I found it strange too, that only the first aiders were invited to the meeting.
But there you go, I'm only a casual worker who happens to have a diabetic daughter (who's not at this school anymore).
I shouldn't think he will get anybody special to look after him, as my daughter never did. Luckily nothing serious ever happend to her.

I belong to a local support group for diabetic children. Who knows, maybe I'll get to meet him and his parents there at the next meeting.

Today is another day

I was all for apologising to the head of Lunchtime Supervisors for yesterday, saying sorry for interfering.
But then I heard her saying to her "team" that he should have sugar free cordial. So I thought ok then, sorted, I wasn't wrong for opening my mouth.

Talking to my colleague, I found out that we Kitchen assistants are regarded as the lowest in the rank. Just dish out the dinner and shut up. We were both ignored by them today. Nobody came to me and say that I was right.

As to me being told that only the first aiders need to attend, well it seems that was a lie too. My colleague isn't a first aider and she was asked to attend!!!!!! So I guess I'm even lower than lowest in rank.

Anyway end of this rant. You won't hear from me about this subject again. It's the weekend. I wish you all a lovely one!! 🙂

It strikes me that the little ones aren't the only children in that place!🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back