Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just woke to a 14.5

😡 and after such a good day yesterday

what is this? The dreaded DP?

Could be that your basal isn't enough to last you the night.. Maybe try increasing your nightly dose. Don't take my word for it though since I'm not exactly qualified to tell you to do that!!!

Hi Salmonpuff,

Might be worth doing a couple of 3am checks? It could be your background is too low & your levels are creeping up overnight (or even something you ate last night still in the system?), but if you are nice & low (but not hypoish low) at 3, it might just be DP.

If you continue to have funny results it might be worth asking to go on a 72hr continuous blood glucose monitor - that's how they diagnosed my DP. I was convinced I was going hypo in the early hrs (just missing it when I tested or something, obviously! 🙄) & ricocheting up in the morning. The CGM showed that I did dip but not to hypo levels, then got a BG surge over the morning...fun!

this happens about once a week. I did have a hypo before bed last night but not a serious one. Plus, if I up my lantus then I'll be very very very low when I wake up (I'm on 16 units at the moment and 99% of the time my levels are good), but up at 18 then I'll be waking to levels of between 2 and 3.

wierd :confused:

Is it worth upping it by 1 unit? I know most of the time we do things in round numbers, but I like to be a bit more cautious with background...I think I'd probably try 17, with a 3am check? (not professional advice, mind you!!)

The other thing is apparently (so I was told at AN clinic last week!), even a mild hypo (around 4mmol) stimulates the liver to release glycogen (or whatever, sorry, prgbrain & can't remember most words, aargh! 😱) ...so even a mild hypo can cause things to run a bit high later on...

Is it the same day each week? Also just wondering if there's a pattern in activities that might be at play?...

Is it worth upping it by 1 unit? I know most of the time we do things in round numbers, but I like to be a bit more cautious with background...I think I'd probably try 17, with a 3am check? (not professional advice, mind you!!)

The other thing is apparently (so I was told at AN clinic last week!), even a mild hypo (around 4mmol) stimulates the liver to release glycogen (or whatever, sorry, prgbrain & can't remember most words, aargh! 😱) ...so even a mild hypo can cause things to run a bit high later on...

Is it the same day each week? Also just wondering if there's a pattern in activities that might be at play?...

erm nope...random days, no big activities. And its usually after a really really good day BGs wise.

As for upping by 1...I would if my pen would let me 🙂

We use a pen for the levemir that goes up in half units - cant you get one from your gp?🙂Bev

Does your pen only do round units?!! 😱 How weird... why would they want to limit people to round units? I have a novopen (I think, steel metal type thing), it's not the joy of my life but it does the job & I can at least be a bit more precise...might be worth looking into a different pen, or is it a case of you're limited by the insulin/supplier? What a bugger...

erm nope...random days, no big activities. And its usually after a really really good day BGs wise.

As for upping by 1...I would if my pen would let me 🙂

Are you using an Autopen 24? If so, you can get a single unit version which only goes up to 21 units, but will be fine for you as you need less than that. I had to get one when my lantus needs fell to 9.

I recently changed to using an Optipen Pro 1 by Sanofi Aventis.
Quite a bit different from my old pen and took some getting used to, but goes up in units of 1 dose, up to 60 units. Also useful in that it can go down if you dial in too much (unlike the AutoPen I had before).
Also comes in a useful hard case with room for needles and a spare cartridge.
It's a got a digital readout though which may be a little hard for some people to read. Also doesn't have a memory like my Humapen Memoire :(

Oooo, I like the idea of a memory...how often recently (prgbrain) have I been sat there, looking blank, thinking, "did I just do my jab?!" 😱

That's why I like my Humapen so much and was disappointed that the Optipen Pro 1 doesn't have it.

What I really need though are pens that will 'talk' to my meter to record my doses along with my bg readings.

Hi Sam...

Just noticed you can't up your Lantus by 1 unit, cause your pen wont let you do 1's.....Nathan is on Latus ... and uses the Solostar, its pre-filled, and disposable when you've used the units it contains. You can increase in 1's on that.

Heidi
xx🙂

Just woke to a 14.5

😡 and after such a good day yesterday

what is this? The dreaded DP?

Hmm sounds like a glucose dump to me :( I had one on tuesday , Id gone to bed at 6.3 but woke to a 23.1 !! Grrrr

Hmm sounds like a glucose dump to me :( I had one on tuesday , Id gone to bed at 6.3 but woke to a 23.1 !! Grrrr

Pre the general DP / pregnancy carnage, if I had a rise like that I was fairly convinced I'd had an overnight hypo... not sure how you'd be able to know for sure though... I think the only way to get a true handle on it is to get hold of a CGM or something, I can't figure it out! 🙄 Sodding diabetes fairy (gremlin more like...!)

Pre the general DP / pregnancy carnage, if I had a rise like that I was fairly convinced I'd had an overnight hypo... not sure how you'd be able to know for sure though... I think the only way to get a true handle on it is to get hold of a CGM or something, I can't figure it out! 🙄 Sodding diabetes fairy (gremlin more like...!)

I tend to think hypo actually , I keep strange hours (Im an Insomniac) so I do test at random times during the night. I think it was probably some Humalog still lurking in my system 😡 I seem to have cracked my Basal ( I hope Ive not just jinxed myself !!) so that is my only explanation . Definately Gremlins hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back