Ground rice

Chez53

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I fancy trying the pancakes from the recipe page but am struggling to find ground rice, is semolina okay to use or does someone know somewhere I can get ground rice

I found this - https://chefspick.co.uk/substitute-for-ground-rice/ (cornstarch is american speak for cornflour)

I confess I didn't read it in any detail, but when choosing a substitute for cooking you should consider what you are cooking (some subs work better than others).
If you shortlist to 2 subs suitable for the item you are cooking, that would be the time to select the lowest carb one

Asda do a ground rice (Laila is the brand name) and you can also buy ground rice on Amazon.

Our local Thai supermarket sells it.
It is very fine so wonderful for dusting any bowls I use for proving bread,

Decades ago (well before D) I used to make ground rice pudding, cheaper and quicker than normal rice pudding as cooked on top of cooker like custard, and I preferred it to semolina. Good with home-made jam or bottled/frozen fruit.

Holland & Barrett sell rice flour which might work. You could try the semolina?

None of these, however, will be anywhere near low carb!

I fancy trying the pancakes from the recipe page but am struggling to find ground rice, is semolina okay to use or does someone know somewhere I can get ground rice
Have a look on sugarfreelondoner.com , she has recipes for American style pancakes and french style crepes using ground almonds which are incredibly low carb.

I have to ask why - as it is so high carb.
Waffles made with egg and cheese are good substitutes for such farinaceous foods - I've been reading William Banting's letter on corpulence again.

To be fair, if you stick to the portion size in the recipe, without looking it up again I think it was just under 20g of carbs a portion, which would fit quite well into 130g a day, but be too high for those who have found they do need to be much lower than 130g a day.

You do need to be aware that the recipes on the main site are not always particularly low carb, so some may be fine for a Type 1 or others on insulin, but much less fine for a Type 2 managing things by diet and maybe metformin.

Back