Griffin Hospital in Derby rebounding from misuse of insulin pens (USA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As Griffin Hospital awaits the conclusion of the state Department of Public Health’s investigation into its misuse of insulin pens, the hospital has returned to using traditional insulin needles and has tested hundreds of patients who potentially may have been exposed to HIV and hepatitis.

Patrick Charmel, the hospital’s president and CEO, said so far the hospital has tested 750 patients and those patients will continue to be retested and monitored during the next six months. Charmel said the possibility that some patients may have been exposed is minute and while HIV and hepatitis C can lay dormant in the body without showing symptoms for years, blood tests will immediately reveal any abnormalities.

So far, those retested have shown no signs of HIV and hepatitis.

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...-derby-rebounding-from-misuse-of-insulin-pens

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read, are they actually suggesting that trained medical professionals didn't know they shouldn't reuse needles? Good grief, they'll be saying they need training to use Elastoplast next.

No they weren't reusing the needles, they were using one insulin pen for many patients, with a new needle each time. The trouble is that each time you inject with an insulin pen, it's possible for some bodily fluids (and pathogens) to travel from you backwards into the pen cartridge. This is no problem if the pen cartridge is only used by one person, which is what is supposed to happen.

No they weren't reusing the needles, they were using one insulin pen for many patients, with a new needle each time. The trouble is that each time you inject with an insulin pen, it's possible for some bodily fluids (and pathogens) to travel from you backwards into the pen cartridge. This is no problem if the pen cartridge is only used by one person, which is what is supposed to happen.

Ah that makes more sense, I can see how that might happen. It's a good job you told me I was getting ready to petition the US government 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back