Grenade bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyh74

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good afternoon just been diagnosed with type 2. Are grenade bars and milkshakes ok to have as they are protein?
Still trying to get my head around what I can and can't have.
Many thanks

Canny expensive, and the bars at 34g carbs per 100g not really low carb
Whether they'd work for you, i can't say. Probably better than a mars bar, not as good as a bowl of berries and some full fat yougurt.

Good afternoon just been diagnosed with type 2. Are grenade bars and milkshakes ok to have as they are protein?
Still trying to get my head around what I can and can't have.
Many thanks
Welcome to the forum.
The bars which would be more suitable would be Nature Valley, KIND or Shop own protein NUT bars as they are only 12g carbs per bar. Milk shakes are potentially OK but will depend on quantity and what is added. Milk is about 13g carbs per half pint (284mls) but depending on what is added it could push that up to 3x that and that would be very high carb.
Probably better to be eating meat, fish, cheese, dairy and eggs for your protein, together with plenty vegetables, salads and fruit like berries.
It will be important to reduce your intake of carbohydrates so foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals, pastry and well as the more obvious cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks including fruit juice.
Have a look at this link for some menu ideas and some do's and don'ts as well as a good explanation of the basis of a low carbohydrate approach which has been successful for many and should be suitable if you are managing by diet only or diet and metformin.
How much work you will need to do will depend on what your HbA1C is that led to your diagnosis. Were you told what it is?

Evening
Thanks for the replys.
My HbA1C was 97. I know I have some work to do. I will look at the link. Does it give me what breakfast cereal I can eat?
I will look at other protein bars.

Evening
Thanks for the replys.
My HbA1C was 97. I know I have some work to do. I will look at the link. Does it give me what breakfast cereal I can eat?
I will look at other protein bars.
Most breakfast cereals are far too high in carbohydrate even ones which say low sugar so many avoid having them. You would be surprised how small a portion is and many who just pour them out are having a huge amount of carbs with very little protein.
Many find that having something like full fat Greek yoghurt with some berries and maybe some nut and seeds or just a scattering of a low sugar granola for a bit of crunch.
Otherwise eggs in any form with bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, with a small slice of toast will keep carbs low.

Cereals are pretty much as high carb. You could have a bowl of berrys and high fat yoghurt, or yoghurt with a sprinkle of cereal to give you the taste of it, or eggs, tomatos, sausages, meat, mushrooms...

Great minds....

I have had that yoghurt based breakfast a few times (just because we had some yog that needed using up) and it was really good!

Much tastier and more interesting than just cereal I thought (which I‘ve not really eaten for years)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back