Green grapes and Type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Brooks

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello fellow Diabetics,

Has anyone any information regarding the eating of green grapes.

Some sites I have visited say they are excellent for diabetics as they contain a lot of vitamins etc, which help the system and help to reduce blood sugars but some say that these grapes are not good for us.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this dilemma please.

Take care everyone.

John

Around here they can be referred to as "little sugar bombs" and some have even used them to treat low BG's

On the other hand the only way to know if you can tolerate them as the individual you are is to test what effect they have on you personally by testing before consuming then again 2 hours later looking for no more than a 2-3mmol rise

Sadly nobody can give you a definitive answer as we all tolerate things differently xx

Despite the vitamins they are regarded as one of the high carb fruits being full of sugar and at 12g carb for an 80g portion, the temptation is to just snaffle one from the bunch on passing. Many people do avoid or be very careful with grapes and all tropical fruits.

I used them, three at a time, to reduce the false hypos I had early on.
Not touched them since.

I don’t think there are many on the forum who find grapes particularly blood-glucose friendly I’m afraid @John Brooks

I think there are other sources for the vitamins that might be kinder on your levels?

Grapes of all types and colours, described by my mother in law as 'Individual little bags of pure sugar' .

She was absolutely right about that, same as she was when she glared at both of us one day and said, 'Old age don't come on its own, you know!'

To which I responded by saying 'Never mind! - it's staying cheerful that keeps us all going, isn't it?' and we all burst out giggling.

Did you know that bell peppers have more vitamin c than oranges (and so i'm guessing more than grapes)?

Did you know that bell peppers have more vitamin c than oranges (and so i'm guessing more than grapes)?
That would only be raw, though, so bell peppers in salads for example. (It's much more common to cook bell peppers than oranges or grapes.)

Raw sweet pepper is tasty and refreshing, I find.

Am I right in thinking even cutting fruit and veg starts to deplete some vitamins?

(Awaits sound of the QI klaxon)

Am I right in thinking even cutting fruit and veg starts to deplete some vitamins?

(Awaits sound of the QI klaxon)
Yes I think you are correct . To be honest also lying in supermarkets and storage before and I guess aeroplane flights unless you grow your own there must be some vit waste. Back to original message . Grapes are very healthy and good for quick boost they also can make you less dry. That’s if ill your sugar is low and your are trying to get in food that burns quick. I find that they give immediate high but it’s not long lasting . I find oats on the other hand don’t spike initially but they keep your sugar up for longer. So if like me type 2 the aim is not to worry about short tetm highs but long term ones . So really the odd bunch of grape is healthier than say a box of chocolates or sweets or crisps . Not an everyday food though so not really part of the diet more a treat and definitely when you are at a good point with your bloods. Personally I steer clear as much as I can but I have had some as a treat.

That would only be raw, though, so bell peppers in salads for example. (It's much more common to cook bell peppers than oranges or grapes.)
I often have peppers sliced up in my packed lunch

I eat cucumber beetroot celery cauliflower swede broccoli radish lettuce sweet pepper tomato onion carrot leek squash bamboo shoots celeriac green beans aubergine peas cabbage sprouts avocado endive mushrooms strawberries kiwi fruit plums rhubarb and melon - just in small amounts.

I think I am OK on vitamins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back