greek yogurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammy1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi ive been on my low carb diet for about 6 weeks now as my bloods were all over and my Hbca1 result had gone up to 75 from 62 anyhow im on every morning greek style yogurt and rasberries and blue berries with walnuts i have been getting goob blood results but wanted to know what people would recomend as the best low suger greek yoogurt out there im on the Fage %0 fat free yogurt but maybe theres a better on out there thanks colin

I like the Aldi straight Greek style yoghourt which I buy in 1l tubs. I eat it with a home made nut/seeds toasted oat granola, avoiding the berries which many others have found acceptable but I have not.

Much nicer than the "low fat" versions I find.

hi ive been on my low carb diet for about 6 weeks now as my bloods were all over and my Hbca1 result had gone up to 75 from 62 anyhow im on every morning greek style yogurt and rasberries and blue berries with walnuts i have been getting goob blood results but wanted to know what people would recomend as the best low suger greek yoogurt out there im on the Fage %0 fat free yogurt but maybe theres a better on out there thanks colin
I find 0% fat yoghurt totally unpalatable, far too acidic. Many have full fat Greek yoghurt or Greek style but there is a difference in flavour between brands and it is best to try and see which you like best. I find the Brooklea ALDI or ASDA one the best

Many of us who follow a low carb way of eating have full fat versions of foods like yoghurt and coleslaw and mayonnaise and milk. Firstly because the low fat versions can be slightly higher in carbs than full fat, because the carbs are water soluble not fat soluble, secondly that fat is nutritionally satisfying, so you are less likely to feel hunger after eating it and it provides slow release energy which you need if you are cutting your carbs (fast release energy) and thirdly, full fat options usually taste better/more luxurious so you don't feel deprived and fourthly they are usually less processed, which may or may not be something you wish to consider. I also consider packaging and since I eat it every morning I need a big tub to last me a week.
For me the 1kg Lidl Milbona creamy Greek style natural yoghurt or Aldi Brooklea version tick all those boxes and they are also economical to buy and taste really good. Not sure about the Aldi one, but the Lidl one uses British milk, so less air miles too.

I love the 0% Fage as I love the acidity as I lost my sweet tooth when I cut the carbs. I think as long as it low carb it is best to try them and see which you prefer.

I have the Tesco full fat Greek yoghurt. It’s around 4.2g carbs per 100g and very tasty. It also comes in a range of pot sizes, including little individual serving pots.

what about the suger levels

I think the Lidl one is 4.6g/100g carbs but it is important to remember that these are likely not exact figures to the decimal place quoted, but more an approximation, so it really isn't worth worrying about even 1 or 2% difference because you are likely only going to have 100g at one go, so 1 or 2 extra grams of carbs is neither here nor there.
I think there is a saying "Don't sweat the small stuff". Natural yoghurt is a low carb food, so find one you enjoy and don't worry about it, or find one which also fits with your ethical/environmental/economic considerations.

what about the suger levels

I'd always go for an unsweetened natural Greek Yoghurt. Often I find that full fat dairy products will have less carbohydrate (sugar) than low fat versions. Because the space that the fat takes up doesn't have any carbs, and so there's slightly less space for lactose etc. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back