Greek yogurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cakeface

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Please can anyone tell me if I should be buying full fat Greek yogurt or low fat Greek yogurt. The information is very confusing.

Please can anyone tell me if I should be buying full fat Greek yogurt or low fat Greek yogurt. The information is very confusing.
That depends what you’re looking for. The carbohydrate content is about the same but low fat has half the calories and much less saturated fat. If you are trying to lose weight or reduce your cholesterol then get the fat free. If your cholesterol and weight are in target then get the full fat.

Attachments

• 011BF845-3089-421D-BD28-7E0E44CD3676.png
    011BF845-3089-421D-BD28-7E0E44CD3676.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 2E3F303B-A962-4BF6-8400-42DF34CA3412.png
    2E3F303B-A962-4BF6-8400-42DF34CA3412.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 4
I like the Fage 2% Greek yoghurt. The zero fat one isn’t as nice. A small portion and free berries mixed up with lemon juice and cinnamon fills me up for hours.

I don't think it is quite as simple as to choose low fat if you need to reduce your cholesterol or lose weight.
Many people choose the full fat version because it makes them feel full for longer and stops them feeling hungry bwteen meals and slows down the digestion of carbs so they don't get such high peaks and troughs with their BG levels. I eat full fat Greek yoghurt and double cream in my coffee and lots of full fat cheese and fatty meat and my cholesterol is reducing and my weight is stable where I want it to be.... give or take a few pounds.
For me the full fat yoghurt is more enjoyable and sustainable from a dietary perspective and helps my BG levels to be more stable and stops me from feeling hungry and snacking between meals. The fat content is important to me because I see fat as a useful nutrient to manage my diabetes and my disordered eating, together with a low carb way of eating and to make my food more enjoyable.... all of which are important. For me low carb and high fibre seems to deal with/lower my cholesterol despite me eating lots of saturated fat.
You have to find what works for you, but there is no right or wrong answers.... just what is right or wrong for you as an individual and as with all things diabetes, that takes a bit of experimenting on yourself to figure out!

Thank you, I need to lose weight and lower my cholesterol.
I think I will stick with full fat and see how I get on.

Thank you, I need to lose weight and lower my cholesterol.
I think I will stick with full fat and see how I get on.

That is an interesting choice.
Please keep us informed how it works out.

Funnily enough, I recently discovered "Greek Yoghurt" in my local Tesco. Since it has a slightly lower carb content, I have been going for large 500 gram tubs of the plain, full fat variety.

I mix it up with Tescos' frozen, imperfect berries (6g carb/100g), walnut or almonds from LIDL, and/or some grated Montezuma's absolute black chocolate from Sainsburys, (8g carb/100g)

When Jane was ill and losing weight I tried to find some full fat yoghurt for the extra calories. None of the supermarkets near me seemed to sell any yoghurts that weren’t very low in fat, or ‘virtually fat free’.

It used to be that low fat was the niche product, but when I wanted a full fat version, I couldn't find one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back