Greater intake of dietary omega-3 fatty acids associated with lower risk of diabetic retinopathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
In middle-aged and older individuals with type 2 diabetes, intake of at least 500 mg/d of dietary long-chain ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, easily achievable with 2 weekly servings of oily fish, was associated with a decreased risk of sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy, according to a study published online by JAMA Ophthalmology.

The increasing prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus, coupled with an increased lifespan, has resulted in a steady rise of disability in older individuals with diabetes. A major concern for this population group is diabetic retinopathy (DR), a leading global cause of vision loss. Given the economic and societal burden of DR, developing effective strategies to prevent or at least delay its onset is a major public health issue. The retina is rich in long-chain ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCω3PUFAs). Experimental models support dietary LCω3PUFA protection against DR, but clinical data are lacking.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160818131137.htm

Oily fish! 🙂

Oh good, I'll keep up the sardines on toast and the rollmops, assuming it works for type 1 as well. It's also supposed to help with macular degeneration, (which is my particular worry as my father and grandmother had it.)

That certainly sits well with the LCHF diet. You could also just take cod liver oil capsules to achieve the same effect.

Like Robin, I'll stick with the sardines on toast, plus the locally smoked kippers.

I have been eating the stuff for years, pleased I was doing something right - no cabs ! 😎😎😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back