Great survivor?s 71 years as a diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
BEING diagnosed with diabetes before the NHS was created meant poor prognosis, likely amputation and even death.

Michael Knights survived the threat of all these, thanks to the generosity of his father?s colleagues and a strict diet instilled by his mother.

Michael, 74, was diagnosed with Type 1 insulin-dependent diabetes, aged just three.

It was 1941, the Second World War was raging and it was seven years before the inception of the National Health Service.

His trip to the doctor ? who predicted he would not live to old age ? had to be paid for, as did subsequent medical treatment.

http://www.southendstandard.co.uk/news/southend/9956179.Great_survivor___s_71_years_as_a_diabetic/

I would like to offer congratulations and best wishes to this gentleman! Having started in the days of urine tests and syringes you had to sterilise by boiling together with your long re-sharpened needle I can only imagine what it was like two decades earlier. My original diet sheet had unlimited butter and cheese. Of course cholesterol was hardly known about then!

Last edited:
Well done Michael.
Dr Bernstein is 78 and as far as I know still going strong, he recommends:

A very low carb diet to allow much tighter blood sugar control.
For an adult, the allowed carbohydrate amounts are 6 grams for breakfast, 12 grams for lunch, 12 grams for dinner.
Avoiding all foods with added sugar, all foods with starches, all fruits.
Blood glucose testing up to 8 times per day.
Target blood glucose levels that are nearly constant for the entire day.
Weight loss for obese people with type 2 diabetes.
Exercise for all those with type 2 diabetes.
Basal and bolus dosing for insulin users, a technique that he invented in 1972.
The patient takes responsibility for blood sugar control.

Well done Michael.
Dr Bernstein is 78 and as far as I know still going strong, he recommends:

A very low carb diet to allow much tighter blood sugar control.
For an adult, the allowed carbohydrate amounts are 6 grams for breakfast, 12 grams for lunch, 12 grams for dinner.
Avoiding all foods with added sugar, all foods with starches, all fruits.
Blood glucose testing up to 8 times per day.
Target blood glucose levels that are nearly constant for the entire day.
Weight loss for obese people with type 2 diabetes.
Exercise for all those with type 2 diabetes.
Basal and bolus dosing for insulin users, a technique that he invented in 1972.
The patient takes responsibility for blood sugar control.

I'd say for exercise for all types - helps hugely with my blood sugar control! 🙂 Not sure I could manage on the amount of carbs he suggests though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back