great day

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
HI All,
Today we went to the Banksy exibition in Bristol. The good news is that we got to go into the 'exit' door because A is diabetic etc.. I saw the queue and it was a 5 hour one! So i decided to ring them and told them we would probably have to leave the queue for food before we got to the front - she said no problem you can come in the exit door - you dont have to wait!

So if anyone is interested - you dont have to queue! But it finishes tomorrow at 8pm - so be quick. It was amazing by the way!:D

Hi Bev ...

Thats brilliant news ... :D .. so pleased to hear that you and A were allowed to use the 'Exit Door' .... :D .... and sooo pleased you had a great day and A had a good time ...

Heidi
xx🙂

hji bev brill news you hada such a great time gald A enjoyed it and good you where allowed to use exit door x

when I went to bristol I didnt get to go because the queue was too long 🙄

Oooh, I've heard great things about the exhibition, would've loved to have gone if it was local.

Must remember the "I'm diabetic so queueing is difficult" one, you never know when that could be useful, lol.

xx

Glad you had a great time bev. I wonder if I could use that to get me into the Anne Frank museum next time I'm in Amsterdam - the queue there was huge last time, and as my dad is 80 and it was very cold we decided not to wait. It would be interesting to know what other countries' policies are for popular attractions.

HI All,
Today we went to the Banksy exibition in Bristol. The good news is that we got to go into the 'exit' door because A is diabetic etc.. I saw the queue and it was a 5 hour one! So i decided to ring them and told them we would probably have to leave the queue for food before we got to the front - she said no problem you can come in the exit door - you dont have to wait!

So if anyone is interested - you dont have to queue! But it finishes tomorrow at 8pm - so be quick. It was amazing by the way!:D

Well done in finding an advantage in being diabetic! 😉

I'm glad you both had a great time.

when I went to bristol I didnt get to go because the queue was too long 🙄

Must remember the "I'm diabetic so queueing is difficult" one, you never know when that could be useful, lol.

xx

Good idea Helen , Hmm I wonder if it would work for me in Tesco and Asda and anywhere else you have to queue up :D
Twin you were soft then , you should of said you were Diabetic lol try it next time you go somewhere 🙂 saves waiting lol

"I wonder if I could use that to get me into the Anne Frank museum next time I'm in Amsterdam - the queue there was huge last time, and as my dad is 80 and it was very cold we decided not to wait." Northerner, surely an 80 year old person in cold conditions would have been enough to ask for a shorter wait, regardless of your diabetes? I reckon I always have several hours worth of food (a couple of muesli bars), so, in combination with omitting / reducing bolus doses, could queue if required. This paid off once when trekking in the Andes on the border between Argentina and Chile - the bridge (a log with a wire hand rail) over a river swollen by glacial meltwater was impassable. The options were to trek 2 days back over a 1000m pass or wait until flow reduced. We (my partner & I with lightweight camping kit) waited 36 hours, using emergency food (porridge oats, hot drinks, dried apricots, muesli bars etc) then crossed, arriving at a border / customs post at about 11am on a Sunday morning. Only one man was on duty, and he was reluctant to wake the Argentinian border guard, but did produce very welcome hot chocolate. Then we had a 20km walk along a road which links 2 lakes, so there was no passing traffic, and the bus doesn't run on Sundays. So, we walked, and were very pleased to collect apples and blackberries from the roadside (it was early March, autumn in Southern Hemisphere). Finally, we reached the Chilean border post and found accommodation (casa de familia) in the policeman's family house. We just hoped he wouldn'f find our only remaining emergency food, dried apricots, as agricultural restrictions prohibit transporting fruit across the border. Only remaing issue was not knowing that Chile had changed from summer to winter time that weekend.
Never be without food!

Glad you and Alex had a great day, shows it pats to ring ahead and see if alternative arrangements can be made.

"I wonder if I could use that to get me into the Anne Frank museum next time I'm in Amsterdam - the queue there was huge last time, and as my dad is 80 and it was very cold we decided not to wait." Northerner, surely an 80 year old person in cold conditions would have been enough to ask for a shorter wait, regardless of your diabetes? I reckon I always have several hours worth of food (a couple of muesli bars), so, in combination with omitting / reducing bolus doses, could queue if required. This paid off once when trekking in the Andes on the border between Argentina and Chile - the bridge (a log with a wire hand rail) over a river swollen by glacial meltwater was impassable. The options were to trek 2 days back over a 1000m pass or wait until flow reduced. We (my partner & I with lightweight camping kit) waited 36 hours, using emergency food (porridge oats, hot drinks, dried apricots, muesli bars etc) then crossed, arriving at a border / customs post at about 11am on a Sunday morning. Only one man was on duty, and he was reluctant to wake the Argentinian border guard, but did produce very welcome hot chocolate. Then we had a 20km walk along a road which links 2 lakes, so there was no passing traffic, and the bus doesn't run on Sundays. So, we walked, and were very pleased to collect apples and blackberries from the roadside (it was early March, autumn in Southern Hemisphere). Finally, we reached the Chilean border post and found accommodation (casa de familia) in the policeman's family house. We just hoped he wouldn'f find our only remaining emergency food, dried apricots, as agricultural restrictions prohibit transporting fruit across the border. Only remaing issue was not knowing that Chile had changed from summer to winter time that weekend.
Never be without food!

Wow Copepod !! swap lives with me please ! You have done some amazing things and been to some fantastic places 🙂 You have basically proved that Diabetes can only stop you doing things in life if you let it ! I must admit I always carry plenty of snacks and hypo stuff with me all the time in my bag.
If Im out and feel "low" I can have something small and no one even notices !

"Wow Copepod !! swap lives with me please ! You have done some amazing things and been to some fantastic places You have basically proved that Diabetes can only stop you doing things in life if you let it ! I must admit I always carry plenty of snacks and hypo stuff with me all the time in my bag.
If Im out and feel "low" I can have something small and no one even notices !"
Thanks for the compliment, InsulinAddict - as you've shown, too, a pocket full of snacks & sweets (cunningly disguised hypo treatment!) can make all the difference, especially as there are times, eg meeting new people, starting a new job, which are not the time to draw attention to having diabetes - that can come later.

"Wow Copepod !! swap lives with me please ! You have done some amazing things and been to some fantastic places You have basically proved that Diabetes can only stop you doing things in life if you let it ! I must admit I always carry plenty of snacks and hypo stuff with me all the time in my bag.
If Im out and feel "low" I can have something small and no one even notices !"
Thanks for the compliment, InsulinAddict - as you've shown, too, a pocket full of snacks & sweets (cunningly disguised hypo treatment!) can make all the difference, especially as there are times, eg meeting new people, starting a new job, which are not the time to draw attention to having diabetes - that can come later.

Exactly , I dont feel the need to wear a big "I'm a Diabetic" sign around with me! Diabetes is just part of my life that I get on with , it doesnt define me in any way . I can do everything that a non-diabetic can do , maybe even some that they cant :D I dont want or need any special treatment . (unless Im hypo 😉)

That's great Bev 🙂

We queued for six bloody hours to get in last weekend, by which time I didn't appreciate it as much as it probably deserved! Having said that, the queue itself was an experience, and I'm gad we went...

"I reckon I always have several hours worth of food (a couple of muesli bars), so, in combination with omitting / reducing bolus doses, could queue if required. This paid off once when trekking in the Andes on the border between Argentina and Chile - the bridge (a log with a wire hand rail) over a river swollen by glacial meltwater was impassable. The options were to trek 2 days back over a 1000m pass or wait until flow reduced. We (my partner & I with lightweight camping kit) waited 36 hours, using emergency food (porridge oats, hot drinks, dried apricots, muesli bars etc) then crossed, arriving at a border / customs post at about 11am on a Sunday morning. Only one man was on duty, and he was reluctant to wake the Argentinian border guard, but did produce very welcome hot chocolate. Then we had a 20km walk along a road which links 2 lakes, so there was no passing traffic, and the bus doesn't run on Sundays. So, we walked, and were very pleased to collect apples and blackberries from the roadside (it was early March, autumn in Southern Hemisphere). Finally, we reached the Chilean border post and found accommodation (casa de familia) in the policeman's family house. We just hoped he wouldn'f find our only remaining emergency food, dried apricots, as agricultural restrictions prohibit transporting fruit across the border. Only remaing issue was not knowing that Chile had changed from summer to winter time that weekend.
Never be without food!"
I should add that I was an adult in my 30s, some 5 years after diagnosis, when that happened - it has no bearing, for example, on what should be expected of children and parents queuing for theme park rides - although I doubt they ever have 36 hour delays. In this case, "time and tide wait for no man" was partly appropriate - in this case: " a glacial meltwater stream waits for no woman"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back