Grandparents of Type 1 Grandchildren

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiobhanO

Hello. It's me again. That woman who writes for Sweet magazine! I'm looking for help again please. I'm writing an upbeat, sensitive feature on what it's like to be a grandma or grandad to a child with type 1 diabetes. I'd really like your input if you have some experiences / insight to share. Just talking about worries, fears, and joyful moments too.
If you'd like to be involved, please email me asap: siobhan@siobhan-oneill.co.uk
Hope to hear from you!
Thanks very much,
Siobhan.

Good luck with the article. Anything that helps the family as a whole is good and grandparents are often forgotten as they are not primary carers.

Thanks Caroline!
I rely on my parents a lot for child care and they dote on my girls. (Which can cause its own problems! 😛) But I am so lucky they can help me out as much as they do. It's enabled me to spend time at home with the girls while they're young, and get my writing career off the ground. My mum is such a softie and has been really anxious about my oldest starting school this term - getting all teary about it and how much she'll miss her. I can just imagine how hard she would find it if something like diabetes came along. So I think it's a really interesting subject, and I'm really looking forward to talking to some grannies and grandpas about how they manage. I'm hoping the lovely members here might recommend some of their own parents to chat with me. 🙂

Hello. It's me again. That woman who writes for Sweet magazine! I'm looking for help again please. I'm writing an upbeat, sensitive feature on what it's like to be a grandma or grandad to a child with type 1 diabetes. I'd really like your input if you have some experiences / insight to share. Just talking about worries, fears, and joyful moments too.
If you'd like to be involved, please email me asap: siobhan@siobhan-oneill.co.uk
Hope to hear from you!
Thanks very much,
Siobhan.

Hiya

I'll put your message on our email group UK Children with Diabetes Advocacy Group. You've had a couple of our children feature already. It is a fab magazine.

This made me chuckle...didn't really know my grandparents, but we did have a great aunt living locally...bless her, every Christmas / Easter she would buy me special "diabetic" chocolate treats, or carob....it was really well meant but they tasted pretty grim & gave me the trots! 😱 It was so kindly meant though, & for someone on a pension they would have been very expensive. Bless her.

i've emailed my nan (yes, my nan does email) with your email Siobhan (i am also a Siobhan!) so hopefully she will email you, can't make any promises though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back