Granary bread

Becca77

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. Is granary bread ok for diabetes. I’ve been on white bread for years. Don’t like wholemeal. But could transition first with granary bread. Is it better than white? Thanks

Like everything it depends on the carb count per slice and whether your body tolerates it any better than any other type of bread. Must say I love granary, husband hates it but been that long since I had any, can't actually recall carbs in it.

A rough rule of thumb is 50%. Anyway, generally too much for me except in exceptional cases and small amounts:(.

It's better than white in that it has slightly fewer grams of carbs per slice and the fibre in it means your blood sugar will go up more slowly than it will when you eat white ... but it will still go up, so it's not ideal to eat much ordinary bread when you have type 2 if you can avoid it. Hopefully someone on here should be able to suggest lower-carb alternatives, but you may need to ask on the food board.

I don't like wholemeal either, and people find it weird that I like granary but not wholemeal, so glad I'm not the only one!

livlife is my go to now, 80 cals a slice and only 3g carb. from waitrose or coops.

I seem to find seedy breads slightly gentler on my BGs than wholemeal etc. The seedier the better really. Our default loaf is Asda Superseeded which suits me OK and doesn’t have mono- or diglycerides of fatty acids as an ingredient. It’s around 17g a slice though.

I have had granary too, though of course I have the luxury of injected insulin which helps enormously!

Like sainsburys 18% seeded bread, good size slices & delicious to make sandwiches or toasted.

Back