GPs urged to double cancer referrals in NHS guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
GPs in England are being encouraged by the NHS advisory body to nearly double the number of patients referred for hospital cancer tests.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) said delays in spotting symptoms could be costing thousands of lives each year

About 1.2 million people are currently referred annually, but this figure could rise to 2 million.

GPs said they were already "doing a very good job" at referrals.

Research has suggested that up to 10,000 people die every year because their cancer is diagnosed late, NICE said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30119230

So, will the government provide extra cash to pay for it? 🙄

This raises a question with me.

You know they now do a 'well man' type of screening for blokes over 65? Pete is asked to go every year but of course its several visits. Gets measured, BP, weighed etc and then given a blood test form, Make an apt, another visit. If any iffy results you get phoned and then see a GP. Obviously the appropriate action is taken on the iffy results.

Fine. Pete is classed as overweight - I've never seen him as light as the cut-off for overweight. It's 10lbs less than when he was fit as a butcher's dog since he walked 10 miles 5 days a week with his job (meter reading). His upper body is broad and well developed, whilst his hips are slim with well-developed legs - as you would expect from a gymnast ! Now he's about half a stone heavier. So he gets called in every single time. However that's immaterial.

The one test they do NOT do is PSA. He got told off by the GP because he'd just asked the phlebotomist to do it and she did - he'd had minor urinary probs, not really serious enough to make a doctors apt for in his opinion, but I nagged him to ask - it was higher than it should be so they needed to refer him, which they did.

BUT you are supposed to see a GP first so they can counsel you before you have the ruddy test! cos it may be OK and you could still have prostate cancer. Well yes, it's common knowledge, that .....

Maybe that will change then?

One can only hope so ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back